Laptop Smells Like Burning Plastic

HerobrineFinder

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
I have an Acer Aspire E5-571. I was using it last night when I heard a faint pop followed by a really nasty burning smell. Smelled like someone melted plastic. I immediataly removed the battery and ac jack cutting power to the system. I than ran down and got a fire extengisher. I waatched the laptop for about an hour, nothing. I decided it was safe to open it. When I did I noticed that a wire going to the HDMI port seemed to have burnt out (i think there was a cap there). I blew a fan over it for about 10 mins, than put everything together. Everything seems to be fine. What should I do at this point?
unknown.png

Solution
Fire hazard at this point. Burnt traces caused from a short somewhere from the picture. Work with circuit boards, this board would be scrapped at work from visible internal damage to copper traces. You definitely don't want a Li-Po or Li-ion fire from laptop.

1LiquidPC

Estimable
Oct 11, 2014
Fire hazard at this point. Burnt traces caused from a short somewhere from the picture. Work with circuit boards, this board would be scrapped at work from visible internal damage to copper traces. You definitely don't want a Li-Po or Li-ion fire from laptop.

Solution