Laptop smoking, please help

JenDuff

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
I smelt a burning smell today and I didn't know what it was, I looked down and noticed black smoke coming out of my laptop. I suspect the fan wasn't on and my components were being cooked
How do i clean the fan?
Oh, also on a related note, I inhaled some of it should I go to a hospital? I feel like I have super aids this is awful

Solution

The 'smell' could be from anything. The fan is just blowing it out.
Smells don't 'just happen'. Something inside there is cooked. Might just be dust, might be something far worse.

Someone needs to take it apart and look.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
While most 'computer smoke' is carcinogenic, it would take quite a lot to be a health problem. If the system is still working, then something else is burning. Just crack some windows and get a fan running.

Taking it apart depends completely on the model. Generally if there was smoke, it is probably not going to work properly again. Meaning a new motherboard, battery, or as you say, a new fan.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Ok 2 things

1. That smoke is EXTREMELY toxic, if you feel sick you should see a doctor. If you're starting to feel better you're probably fine.

2. Does the computer even work/run anymore? Black smoke coming out tells me the computer IS cooked and you will need a new one.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Jammed motors can sometimes short the windings, poor circuit design can let a lot of current flow through in one spot and start it burning.

I've seen the results of non-PC caused burning of PCs. Usually triggered by coals from a cigarette though. The occasional food related incident as well.

The battery could also be a culprit.

JenDuff

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
The battery's been dying for a long time, most I get out of it is 20 minutes
I took the battery out and the smoke smell is still coming from the fan, the laptop's working fine but this absolutely awful smell is making it incredibly hard to use
It's not smoking anymore

USAFRet

Illustrious

The 'smell' could be from anything. The fan is just blowing it out.
Smells don't 'just happen'. Something inside there is cooked. Might just be dust, might be something far worse.

Someone needs to take it apart and look.

Solution