Laptop SSD Upgrade

Agera One

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014
Solution
Hey there, Agera One!

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The chassis that is holding the HDD in the video should be able to get mounted to the SSD (there should be screws on the side of the solid-state drive).
Other than that the form factor of the SSDs is the same as the 2.5" mobile HDDs.

Hope I helped. Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, Agera One!

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The chassis that is holding the HDD in the video should be able to get mounted to the SSD (there should be screws on the side of the solid-state drive).
Other than that the form factor of the SSDs is the same as the 2.5" mobile HDDs.

Hope I helped. Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Unless Sony makes proprietary drives all SATA laptop drives are the same size 2.5" and desktop drives are 3.5. Now they have MSATA SSD's but you can even get a 2.5" case for those. MSATA is popular on laptop because you are competing for real estate in those cases. SO the metal thing is just a bracket that hold the drive in so it's more secure. I replaced and Acer HD with a SSD and moved the HD to a second drive bay and the bay didn't have a SATA connector. It had some proprietary plug where a SATA adapter plugged into. I searched the world for that as Acer didn't really want to say they made since they didn't sell that model in the USA with 2 drives. I finally found would in Canada it was listed under accessories for my model and had an Acer part #. The Acer support said i couldn't have 2 drive on that model. Most companies don't like when you modify their non-configurable laptops. Some will refuse warranty work if you modify. When the Acer broke i set it back without the SSD and moved the hD back to the first bay.

Agera One

Estimable
Apr 11, 2014

My laptop is 4 years old and out of warranty. I choose to replace HDD with an SSD and keep the HDD with a storite caddy drive (12.7 mm) replacing the dead ODD in my laptop. But I can't see any screw holes in the caddy drive (in pics and videos of this caddy) to mount onto the laptop chassis :??: