Laptop Starts and Shuts Off Within 5 Seconds

Feb 7, 2018
Hello, I am in need of some help in repairing a friend's Acer Aspire E5-574 N15Q1. One of her kids spilled Windex on the keyboard and her husband used a hair dryer to dry it up. Then it would no longer start up so they asked if I'd take a look. I opened it up and cleaned every component with isopropyl alcohol, even the individual keys. I took the fan and heatsink off, cleaned, and reapplied thermal paste to CPU and GPU. I took out the RAM and wiped it down. Plugged the hard drive into my desktop and it spins up and its data can be accessed. I've replaced the CMOS battery. I cannot get this laptop to boot. I've switched the RAM between the two slots a hundred times, even tried a new RAM stick and it will not stay on for more than 5 seconds.

I have a feeling the motherboard is a goner. But before I told her the bad news I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions of things to try or look at?

Feb 7, 2018

Oh they definitely tried to start it back up, several times. Replacements for this motherboard seem to be about $160. I was hoping to not give them this bad news!