Laptop Suggestions? (Questionnaire Answered)

ilikerhinos

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015
1. What is your budget?
Up to $1400, not including shipping/tax.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15-17" leaning towards 17"
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement, but not Alienware brick-size.
5. How much battery life do you need?
90 minute or more. Tweaks can significantly improve battery, so not really concerned.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop?
If any games, its older games via emulators or GTA5 to kill time. Medium-High settings.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
Video editing, 3D, photoshop, VM's for testing (python),
8. How much storage do you need? RAM?
N/A. I have a 128GB and a 500GB which is in an enclosure.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
This MSI looks real nice, but a little expensive.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need?
Don't care, the cheaper the better, if any at all. Rather use that port for drive space.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
HP/ASUS- dreadful CS, RMA is pure HELL. Never again will I buy HP/ASUS. HP laptop after 7 RMA, 1.5yr later, I gave up 2009-2010. ASUS kept sending same laptop back 2010-2011 and last laptop looked like they shot a hole through the middle with a .45 handgun..
MSI/Acer- decent build quality. MSI products never failed on me. Acer is usually budget friendly.
13. What country do you live in?
USA, Colorado
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Must support M.2 SSD (22x42mm).
Must support 2nd screen.
Prefer HDMI/DP to be normal size, no mini-trash (adapters on laptop=ugly).
Prefer good build quality espeecially monitor hinges. (My Acer E1-572 feels really cheap)
Prefer backlit keyboard, not a game changer though.
NO touchscreen, deal-breaker here.
Needs two DIMMs, not one with DIMM+onboard..
I'm a powerlifter at the gym, so laptop weight doesn't matter at all.

Support Options: Myself, built/fixed desktops and a couple laptops/tablets no problem.

Cooling isn't much of a concern. I have a wonderful laptop cooling pad; an aluminium oven sheet.
Will only be plugged in to a CyberPower UPS battery/surge. Left in sleep mode when not in use.

When will the laptops with 970M/5700HQ drop to around $1100?
Is 15" vs 17" any different for cooling? (easier to cool, less noise?)

Recently sold my desktop (i7 2600/750 Ti 60W) and have been looking around for a laptop the past month or so.

Support Options: Myself, built/fixed desktops and a couple laptops/tablets no problem.

Software being used: Autodesk MAYA, Lightworks, Gimp, VirtualBox, FL Studio 12, FreeMake Video Converter, Python 3.5 (always kept current)

ilikerhinos

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015

Nvidia Control Panel changing some settings worked on my friends ASUS ROG, but it's rocking an older 880M, or maybe I can skip that part of the driver install..

Is there really much difference between IPS and whatever this has? 1080p is 1080p right?

If I wait till February when new laptops arrive, think the price will drop a little more or stay near the same?

Reason for waiting for a price drop is hopefully I can squeeze in the NUC N3700 if it goes on sale for holidays. Giving the NUC as a gift eventually.