Solved! Laptop switches to integrated graphics sometimes when in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2018
When I play games such as Fortnite and League of Legends, my laptop slows down and the fps drops significantly where it should be 100+ it goes to ~30. This has been occuring since the beginning of March. I replaced my motherboard, updated all drivers, reinstalled windows, removed any malware, set preferred graphics to Nvidia, but the problem still occurs. How can I fix this?

My laptop is a Dell XPS 15 9560 with GTX1050, 16gb ram, i7700HQ, 512 ssd.
Here is an image from task manager during the slowdown:
http://prntscr.com/j02clq
CPU Temps:
http://prntscr.com/j02etf

Solution
This was happening to me on my Alienware 15 (GTX 970M)
I changed my settings in the Nvidia Control panel and that fixed it
Nvidia Control Panel: 3D Settings, Set to High Performance Nvdia Processor, Apply
Physx Config: Set to your Nvidia 1050, Apply
And set your laptop to High Performance when gaming
This personally fixed it for me I was have the same issue whilst playing Fortnite, So hopefully this'll work for you to. Hopefully I'm not too late :)
Apr 3, 2018

I already have the latest BIOS (1.8.1), even the dell site only has the 1.7.1 BIOS update.

wait so dell pull the 1.8.1 bios?i face the same issue before with my 7567 where i updated to the latest bios and few days after dell pull the bios update from their site due to certain issue.

Apr 3, 2018

I am not sure if they pulled it, but I have the 1.8.1 bios. Should i try to downgrade my bios back to 1.7.1?

if the bios is no longer available on dell site i think they might have pull it down.i say give it a try.

Apr 3, 2018

So i changed the bios back to 1.7.1, but the problem is still there. It didn't fix anything.

Apr 8, 2018

Is all ur power options on max performance?
And image settings and 3d options
If worst comes to worst just disable the Integrated graphics(use as last ditch)

Apr 3, 2018

I don't see why I would have to do that since my laptop is relatively new and still under the 1 year warranty. I've brought it to my IT department multiple times, but they weren't able to permanently fix the problem. They got it to work by changing some power settings but then the next day it stopped working again.

May 26, 2018
This was happening to me on my Alienware 15 (GTX 970M)
I changed my settings in the Nvidia Control panel and that fixed it
Nvidia Control Panel: 3D Settings, Set to High Performance Nvdia Processor, Apply
Physx Config: Set to your Nvidia 1050, Apply
And set your laptop to High Performance when gaming
This personally fixed it for me I was have the same issue whilst playing Fortnite, So hopefully this'll work for you to. Hopefully I'm not too late :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.