Shaun Doyle

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Hello there,

I'm afraid this is yet another one of these posts.... but I spent my lunch break scratching my head for ages trying to find a useful answer for my use case....also a lot of the laptops I looked at aren't well priced in the UK or are not available :(

Here goes:

1. What is your budget?
Under £300...but can stretch up to £375 if I'd otherwise be missing out big time or will get a few extra years out of it.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Doesn't matter - It will stay in one place for most of the time, so portability isn't a huge issue so I can carry 30kg of laptop if it meant better value! (Desktop PC is out of the question though)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter - a reasonable screen, ideally 1080p, but I am just as happy with 720p
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

5. How much battery life do you need?
Doesn't matter - although atleast 2 would be nice

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes - but only light games as I already have a gaming desktop that can do the bigger titles. I am thinking Rimworld, prison Architect, Don't Starve, Stardew Valley, maybe Left 4 dead etc... If I could get something like City Skylines to run, that would be nice - but not necessary
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Nothing much else really... asides from browsing, possibly coding, being able top have atleast 6 tabs open...
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
No less than 128gb ( atleast 60gb for storage after OS/bloatware.)
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Amazon UK, AO, any trusted UK seller.... possibly aliexpress if there is an exceptional offering....but probably not.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-7 years.... doesn't need to keep up with modern games...just needs to not break.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD rom/write would be nice - but would prefer additional performance.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Don't mind - wouldn't mind Linux systems if it meant I got better laptop (spec wise)
13. What country do you live in?
United Kingdom, England

Thanks a lot folks, I really appreciate if anyone has anything! - Ideally I want the cheapest laptop I can get that can run those games (feel free to remove Skylines/Left4Dead) at atleast 30ps on viewable grapfic settings. (no 360p display)..... I am only wanting to do some light gaming while I'm away for weekends.

Many thanks,
Shaun

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Shaun Doyle

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

This looks fairly nice - although, do you feel this best value for my purposes? Also what's the likely hood it will break shortly after 3 months? ;) 2TB is a bit OTT for me - I don't expect to ever use over 500gb, as the laptop is purely intended for light use, passing the time away whilst I'm away from home. - I have book marked this and will wait to see if any further suggestions come in. Thanks a tonne!!

Shaun Doyle

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015

Thanks for these suggestions - I am a bit skeptical of both though as they only sell used with 30 day returns policy.... not ideal, especially as the cost savings don't feel too huge! Will have a better look at their specs tomorrow after I've had a sleep! Thanks a tonne!

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I don't like to buy from sellers who don't provide all the information, speaks of laziness. Doesn't take much effort to boot the computer to get the vital specs, or take the service tag to the vendor's website. Grade B+ means that computer will have minor damage somewhere.

Long as it's in good nick (ive seen b grade stuff that is pretty much perfect) .

Thats the 9720p in there which is decent & it States 12month HP warranty.

Worth a punt , covered by eBay any way if youre not happy.
Big seller, decent feedback.

Shaun Doyle

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015