Laptop to TV via HDMI - great for 2-5 minutes, then "no signal!"

waxxo

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
I have a Lenovo laptop B590 with Windows 7(specifics in link) that I am trying to connect to my Seiki Television via an HDMI cable. I am using this HDMI cable from amazon that has great reviews. My television is certainly off brand, but I have had no problems with the same HDMI port using a WiiU.

The problem I am having is a bit different than most of the posts I have seen here about HDMI to TV connections. When I first plug in the HDMI and change the display to show duplicate monitor and TV, it works great, audio and video are fantastic and all is right in the world. About 2-5 minutes later, I get the "no signal!" screen on my TV. In order to get it working again I have to unplug the HDMI wait for the laptop to go back to native resolution and then I can repeat the process.

Any help would be appreciated, I have cut the cord and enjoy streaming TV, movies, and sports to my computer.

digitaldoc

Distinguished
Herald
Try to isolate the issue. Try your notebook to your tv with a different hdmi cable. Also try your notebook to a different tv. Also, try a different notebook to your tv. One of these combos should reproduce the issue and isolate the bad component.

waxxo

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
So, I tried another Laptop with the same TV and HDMI and got the same result - works fine then flickers on and off for a few moments, and finally "No signal!"

I connected a new Blu Ray player to the TV with the same HDMI cable and had no problems, watched several movies without issue.

Seems like an issue with computers only, but I have no idea.

waxxo

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
I tried all 3 ports all with the same result. The TV just doesn't seem to be able to hold the signal. I appreciate the help and any more suggestions you may have.

waxxo

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
Yea, I tried setting it to 1400x900 which windows said was the best resolution, but got the same results. I'll try to play with different resolutions and see if that makes a difference.