Laptop Turning off Unexpectedly

AW_42

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Hello. I've recently been having trouble with my laptop turning off unexpectedly while running a game called "Dishonored". Up until now I don't think it's ever done this, but it's happened maybe 5 or 6 times since I've started running the game. I've been able to run other modern games such as Sims 3, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, & Witcher 1.

At first I thought it was my battery, because that happened on my old laptop when the battery died. However I've taken out the battery & it still happens. My dad wants to take it to a shop after we move, but that's not until September and I'm hoping I can fix it myself or at least identify whether it's a software or hardware issue.

It is ASUS K53T series. It's 5 years this summer.
-Video Card: Radeon HD 7670M
-CPU: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
-CPU Speed: 1.50 GHz
-RAM: 6 GB (5.48 GB usable)
-Sound Card: AMD High Definition Audio Device
-System type: 64-bit OS
-76.7 GB freespace on harddrive.
-Other: Cheap $15 Targus fan as cooling system.

Any tips or ideas? Thank you in advance!

Lutfij

Splendid
It seems like your laptop hasn't seen any form or manner of servicing. I'm referring to the laptop being opened up and the cooling fan assembly being cleaned off of dust and debris. While that is being cleaned up, try and get a fresh application of thermal paste with something like Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX-4. The issue is an overheating issue.

Pertaining to your ram, you should work with matched sticks of ram or rather a kit, in essence you should've gone with a 2x4GB kit instead of two mismatched sticks of ram.

AW_42

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Okay, I've run into some trouble. I'd planned to take it to a repairman for maintenance, but now the computer won't turn on at all. I was using it today at lunchtime when there were 2 back-to-back power-offs. Now when I try to turn it on it says it wants to do a "recovery from disk" that will uninstall some programs but will not erase personal data. I left this running for an hour and nothing happened. I also tried booting it in safe mode but a scary option comes up about using 1 partition or both and I didn't understand it so I cancelled.

The repairman will only look at a computer if it's been backed up; any idea how I can turn it on long enough to back up my files?