Laptop turning off

James010

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
I have a Toshiba satellite 755-1HZ laptop, lately wherever I try to play online my computer turns off by himself. This only happens when I play I can use internet normally even leave the if I leave it turn on all day it will stay on, it only happens when I play.
I checked online and my temperatures when playing are as follow

core #0 81c
core #1 82c
Package 81c
Hard Drive 35c
GPU 66

they can probably go higher but eventually the laptop turns off.

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Your laptop is overheating. Make sure you are not blocking airflow and there is no dust build up in the ports. If you are running the laptop plugged in all the time, try unplugging it and that will aid in it running cooler. Good idea to invest in a laptop cooling stand that has a built in fan.

66 C for GPU and 82 C for the CPU is hardly considered overheating ─ unless the laptop has a low thermal ceiling. Still, this sounds like classic thermal overload + shutdown.

How long are you able to play your game before it shuts down? And are any other programs able to recreate the problem?

If it's a thermal problem, there are things you can do to circumvent this, though they will require opening the laptop.

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

You are entitled to your opinion but I'm sure I'm not alone when saying 82c is way to hot especially in a laptop.

James010

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

The time that I can play varies sometimes 4 minutes others 15,it never goes over 20 and it only seems to happen when I play.
I have been playing it since I first bought 1 year and half and this only started to happen about 2 weeks ago.

I certainly wasn't trying to come off as obstinate. :) 82 C is hot - at least by conventional perception - but many gaming laptops these days have a threshold of around 100 C before they actually shut down. Usually in the mid 90s C is when components will throttle to avoid this. We see systems frequently run in the 75 C - 90 C range under load. It's quite common when gaming.

But this is all pretty relative to the OEM's design.

While your temps sound "safe", as I mentioned here, safe is pretty relative to the design. I'm not disagreeing with Proteus at all that your system is shutting down from thermal overload; what you describe sounds like just that. The heat sinks may need new thermal paste, and the laptop may need cleaned. If you can get your temps lower but you still experience the shutdown, then likely either the GPU or CPU is at fault.

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Anything you can do to combat heat should help. Once you get the temps down it should stop shutting down on you. I agree with Prostar; once you get the temps down and it keeps shutting down at even lower temps then its a hardware issue. Just do whatever you can to properly ventilate and keep temps from reaching that point and it should stop.