laptop under $500?

kknd2

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
my dad asks me to find him a laptop for him. he used his current one for around 10 years and he wants another one that will last around that amount of time. i think he's in his 50s
heres a few things that he said.

-cpu is around an ivybridge i5m's power

-has a dedicated gpu of 1gb

-needs to have 15 inch+ screen

-under 500 bucks

he uses his laptop for business and watching videos. he doesnt play games (which is weird that he asks for a dedicated gpu).

he said 2nd and refurbished is fine.

so from what he said. i'm thinking of either getting an A10 apu laptop or A8. but i haven't search for laptop for a long time (i like desktop more haha). so i dont know where to start.

if its a pretty good laptop that came out like 2012 or 2013 2nd hand and is 500 is fine too.

any suggestions?

thx

Solution
That has better specs than my machine. It should work great.

The AMDs that run hot are the Opterons and the FX chips. the A10 mobile series have a very low wattage comparatively. It will run at temps comparable to an equally spec'd i5. If you still worry about temps, there are easy to use utilities to report the reading of the thermal sensor in the cores, I prefer CoreTemp from alcpu.

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
They're out of date now, but you might be able to find a refurb of a Lenovo ideapad Z585. A10-4600 APU, embedded 7660 Radeon GPU x-fired to the 7670 in the A10, and retailed 600-700 new. I have one of these and it will work a treat for just business apps and video surfing.

kknd2

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

i googled it and it's out of stock on amazon and newegg lol ...

theres a new one for 580ish on ebay

i found http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318106&cm_re=a10-_-34-318-106-_-Product

what is your thoughts on this (and yes i live in canada :p)

but i have never had amd cpu before. i've been told they run hot (and hence they die earlier compare to the intel cpu) is this correct?

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
That has better specs than my machine. It should work great.

The AMDs that run hot are the Opterons and the FX chips. the A10 mobile series have a very low wattage comparatively. It will run at temps comparable to an equally spec'd i5. If you still worry about temps, there are easy to use utilities to report the reading of the thermal sensor in the cores, I prefer CoreTemp from alcpu.

Solution