Question Laptop Using Internal Mic Instead of Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2021
I just restarted my Inspirion Dell Laptop (I'm not sure if there was a windows update or not) but when it restarted even though my headphones (Razer Kraken 7.1) were plugged in it would use the built-in microphone. I've tried restarting my computer and reinstalling the microphone driver. I've also looked at my recording devices (including disabled and disconnected ones) and there is no specific device for my external microphone. I've looked at a lot of other posts and none of their suggestions have worked. The headset mic definitely works because I've tested it with other devices but for some reason my laptop wont use it. Also my headset is a single jack, my laptop cant use a split jack but it has worked up until now.

Also just tested so earphones and its the same issue, it uses my internal microphone instead of external.

Just checked all my drivers for updates and updated them all and still having the same issue.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021
Yesterday I restarted my Inspirion Dell Laptop, I'm not sure if there was a windows update or not, and when it restarted my laptop wouldn't use my headset's mic, Razer Kraken 7.1, and instead use the internal mic. I've looked at other threads and I've reinstalled my audio drivers, checked for driver updates and restarted my computer. Also, I've checked my devices, including hidden and disabled devices and there is no specific device for my headset so I cant make it default. I've tested my headset on other devices and it works fine and I've tested other headsets on this laptop and it's the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.