Laptop Water Problem?

mcell420

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
I'm moderately tech savvy and made a mistake about 8 months ago, I spilt a full glass of water on my Windows Vista Toshiba laptop, I immediately cut power removed the battery, lightly dried with a hair drier and turned it upside down to let it air dry. After letting it dry for a day I powered it up and it worked almost perfectly fine (except the touch bad stopped working still lights up but doesn't respond, which is fine I use a USB mouse).
So for 8 months it worked fine, but today I turned it on and it just hangs on the boot screen then gives the option for repair or start normally if I choose repair it tries to boot then restarts if I choose normal boot it freezes.
Any ideas on how I can farther trouble shoot? I'm guessing maybe rust or some lingering damage from the spill have finished off the laptop but I'm hopping there might be a fix. I'm thinking maybe just pull the HD to try to save the data, but before pulling the laptop apart I figured I would ask here, thanks for any info and advice.

Solution
When ever I have a problem like this with a HDD or booting problem, I use a device I bought from my local PC store similar to this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400542&cm_re=HDD_to_USB-_-12-400-542-_-Product

If I can access the HDD from a working computer then I know the HDD isn't completely failed and I can at least access my files and back them up. I'm not the most tech savvy person, so from there I just wiped the HDD and put it back in my PC and reinstalled windows and it worked fine. Might be a bit more complicated in your situation with the water damage. Worth a try though if you can find a device like what I linked above for a decent price. I've used it numerous times and it was worth the price I paid...

LiveTrash

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
When ever I have a problem like this with a HDD or booting problem, I use a device I bought from my local PC store similar to this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400542&cm_re=HDD_to_USB-_-12-400-542-_-Product

If I can access the HDD from a working computer then I know the HDD isn't completely failed and I can at least access my files and back them up. I'm not the most tech savvy person, so from there I just wiped the HDD and put it back in my PC and reinstalled windows and it worked fine. Might be a bit more complicated in your situation with the water damage. Worth a try though if you can find a device like what I linked above for a decent price. I've used it numerous times and it was worth the price I paid for it.

Solution