Laptop with mobile platform vs desktop platform

ldiamond

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
Im currently looking for a laptop that I will also use as a desktop computer. I need to carry it around but not too much (School, parents, appartment) and I'm now wondering if I'd be better with a laptop with a desktop platform.

What is the difference in performance?
Reliability?
Size isnt an important factor, but I dont want a 20Lbs laptop either...

Am I better off with a Santa rosa laptop with T7700? Will I have the performance of a E6400? Are mobile GPUs much slower than regular GPUs?

Will a laptop with a desktop platform overheat and be dead after a year or two?

jayjr8018

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Refer to a post i made about 2-3 weeks ago in the CPU hardware forum. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/processor-worth-ftopict237939.html

what i learned from the post is.. its definitely not worth it to get a desktop cpu in your notebook. they will overheat and become troublesome. also, they wont have any battery life especially with a high end gpu.

if i were you id wait til mid june and get a centrino pro santa rosa processor in a notebook.

btw, you should look at killer|notebooks executioner.. he is featuring a executioner SR around June 22nd which is going to have the centrino pro and capable of the nvidia geforce 8800 in the near future.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I will second the motion of NOT going with a desktop chip in a notebook.
I have a model like that I am considering to offer, and so far... I am LESS than impressed with it.

:arrow: First of all it is 2 1/2" thick and weighs a ton.
:arrow: It has the aesthetics of a shoe box with an LCD screen on it.
:arrow: It is prone to overheating.
:arrow: The system itself is 12 lbs!
:arrow: The power supply is 8" x 3-1/2" x 2" and weighs another 3lbs.
:arrow: The screen has a habit of deciding when and if it will work.
:arrow: The 4 fans underneath really need to be on a hard surface to work properly, this is pretty much a portable desktop.

My advice, stay away from notebooks with desktop chips in them.