Solved! Laptop won't boot after re-connecting eDP connector

Apr 16, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have Asus G550JK laptop. It has a problem with screen, screen blacks out when I move the monitor. To deal with this I regularly disconnect and then connect edp cable of the screen.

On Sunday, I did exactly the same thing, but what I don't remember is that if it was turned off or in sleep. I disconnected edp connector. I tried to re-connect edp cable in a mis-aligned fashion. I heard a 'tick' sound, but I couldn't resolve if it was mechanical or electrical. Then I placed it as it should.

When I tried to boot the PC, it didn't boot. No light, no screen, no power. Plugging in to electrical outlet didn't help either. What could be the origin of the problem? How can I handle that? Any help is appreciated.

Solution
If you are now getting no power after a problem with the display, then you may well have a motherboard problem now. Sad to say.

If you have a warranty on the device, then I would contact the manufacturer about the problem. However, should it be out of warranty, then I would suggest either contacting a local tech about the work, or if you feel comfortable doing it yourself, then order the part and do the work yourself. Just make sure you get the exact same part.

Additionally, in the future, be really really careful with connecting and disconnecting things. It doesn't take a lot to cause damage. It may not even have been the misalignment. It could easily have been static, etc.
If you are now getting no power after a problem with the display, then you may well have a motherboard problem now. Sad to say.

If you have a warranty on the device, then I would contact the manufacturer about the problem. However, should it be out of warranty, then I would suggest either contacting a local tech about the work, or if you feel comfortable doing it yourself, then order the part and do the work yourself. Just make sure you get the exact same part.

Additionally, in the future, be really really careful with connecting and disconnecting things. It doesn't take a lot to cause damage. It may not even have been the misalignment. It could easily have been static, etc.

Solution