Laptop won't boot - only get flashing power button

Tricon7

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
A few days ago a Windows update (I believe) disabled something on my computer, preventing me from being able to completely boot it - I just got spinning dots that never got me to the desktop screen. Safe mode didn't work, either. So I discovered that if I pressed zero while I held down the power button, I could get to the "reset your PC" option. So I went that route, opted to keep my files, and my computer began to go through the reset options. It was obviously not a fast process, and I was at work working on this on the side.

I was at 9% when I absolutely had to leave work to make an appointment, and I couldn't just leave my laptop on my desk open like that. I had no choice but to close the laptop lid and take it with me. Two hours later, when I was able to open in, it had shut down (the battery power might have been low, I'm not sure). Now, when I do any combination of keys (so far), the power button will flash a few times when I press it or press it and hold it, then stop. I never get anything appear on the screen, not even a different color. Perhaps I'm not holding down the right buttons? Anyway, I removed the battery, held down the power button to discharge any residual electricity, like I know some of you will suggest, and replaced the battery. No change.

I don't think it's a bad hard drive because it was working just fine when I closed the lid before it stopped powering up.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by removing the battery and boot it up with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will boot up normally.
- Next is to test the AC adapter if it's supplying enough voltage or try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage.
- If it doesn't work proceed with reseating the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If you'll see lights on the laptop and you can hear the fans spinning, connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it because if you do that means the problem is the built in display.
- You may need to check the ribbon that connects the LCD to the motherboard.
- If all these will not work the problem would be the motherboard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 12
B Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
D Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 5
K Laptop Tech Support 2