laptop won't charge when off

coolnaturegirl

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Hi. I have a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop that I just got a replacement charger for. It charges the battery very quickly when the laptop is on, but doesn't charge it at all when it's hibernating or completely shut down. When it the laptop is on and the battery is charging, the charge indicator light is constantly on. When the laptop is off and plugged in, the indicator light blinks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
This could be one of a few issues..

- Have you checked the power settings within Windows when it comes to charging? They have specific options in there for charging options depending on the situation.

- Can you go into the BIOS and confirm the charging options there?

thejackal85

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
This could be one of a few issues..

- Have you checked the power settings within Windows when it comes to charging? They have specific options in there for charging options depending on the situation.

- Can you go into the BIOS and confirm the charging options there?

Solution

coolnaturegirl

Commendable
May 11, 2016

Thanks so much!. I changed the lid setting from hibernating when plugged in to do nothing, so the battery will continue to charge. It's probably not a perfect solution since the laptop is still technically on when it's plugged in, closed, but not using it, buat at least it will charge now.

I was too afraid to mess with BIOS as I am ignorant about computer stuff in general. Thanks again for your help!