May 22, 2018
Hi! I have a Toshiba Satellite S55. Never had any issues with the laptop itself, except that for the past few months i've had to move around and mess with the plug a little for it to charge when i plug the charger. A couple of days ago that "solution" stopped working no matter how hard i tried. Eventually the computer ran out of battery and now i can't turn it on because i can't get it to charge.

Now i'm not really sure whether the problem is the DC power jack, the charger or the battery (i believe it's one of the first two though).

Though it may sound like it's a charger issue, i wouldn't discard it being something with the DC jack because that side of the laptop is a little loose (lost the screw that seals that side).

What do you think? What could be the problem? I don't want to buy any replacement parts before knowing for sure what has to be repaired.

Solution
I would definitely check the AC adapter, maybe it's connector wire end got internally twisted (had that issue with one of my previous laptops) try untwist it and fold it in some different ways and/or multimeter test it, if you have a universal power brick it could help for a quick test.
AC adapter is the easiest part as we still don't know whether it could be the battery or the mobo charging circuit, at this point a quick stop at a local and friendly computer shop would greatly accelerate the process.

R0GG

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
This is known issue with laptop charging port/cable, you can buy the part on ebay ($7 DC power jack in cable Harness for Toshiba Satellite S55T-B5234 >> item number 262940542004 (link too long)
open your laptop and replace it yourself (Toshiba S55 S55t satellite Laptop Power Jack Repair pushed in broken port socket fix repair >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLOv72sR4ig)

Or you can bring your laptop to the repair shop (around 80 to 120 $ cost)

May 22, 2018

Hi! Thanks for the quick answer. I bought the new DC jack today and replaced it myself, but the laptop is still not charging. I'm pretty sure i set it up correctly. Is it the charger that needs to be replaced then?

R0GG

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I would definitely check the AC adapter, maybe it's connector wire end got internally twisted (had that issue with one of my previous laptops) try untwist it and fold it in some different ways and/or multimeter test it, if you have a universal power brick it could help for a quick test.
AC adapter is the easiest part as we still don't know whether it could be the battery or the mobo charging circuit, at this point a quick stop at a local and friendly computer shop would greatly accelerate the process.

Solution