Laptop won't power up with AC adapter and won't charge battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
1) the laptop doesn't power on without a battery
2) the light which would indicate that the laptop is plugged into the ac adapter is not on when the ac adapter is plugged in.
3) the battery charge light is also not on, which would indicate the battery is being charged.

The battery does not charge...
The AC adapter is fine, tested with other laptop.
The battery is also new and works fine

I took the laptop apart. Took out the DC Jack and tested it separately.

I used a crappy non digital volt meter. Set it to 50 DC V. Plugged the DC Jack into the AC adapter...

There are 2 red 2 black. Each red shows 8V exactly.

I plugged the dc jack into the motherboard with the AC adapter connected, with the motherboard out and proceeded to test the various contact points on the 4 pin connector with the dc jack plugged in. I tested contact points on both sides of the motherboard on the soldering points. Each time getting the 8V reading.

Thanks for the help

Solution
You have the pin 3 named DCIN, this pin is the Charger Supply Input, on this input you read 19v, the voltage from the adapter. After you have pin 19 named ACIN, it's the AC Adapter-Detect input with 1.5V, it's compared to a fixed voltage of 1.485V (typ). The two readings are good, but the comparator inside the chip gives a low signal to the ACOK who is the AC Detect Output. The pin 10 is the ACOK, it should be low when the AC adapter is present and enables the charger. But you have 3.8V on pin 10, also you have the pin 14 named PDSL, who at the presence of the adapter should give 8V above the voltage of the adapter, but you have 0V. You have some voltages from this chip who are not good to use the adapter for the main source of power...

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
well the adapter is fine because I checked it on another laptop...

sorry, I don't know what that actually means "short circuit" on the motherboard....

do I need a new motherboard?

the thing is...I was also only getting 8v on each red wire when I had just the dc jack connected to the ac adapter alone...

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Correction, I'm an i diot and don't know how to read my volt meter properly.

I'm getting 19V coming from the AC Adapter through the DJ Jack and those are also the same values when testing the connectors on the motherboard while the dj jack is plugged in.

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
you mean the little tiny white rectangle shaped thing with golden metal ends and it says E8A on it or something? so I just keep the dj jack plugged in and use the volt meter, touch each end?

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
ok both ends show 19V and one spark, not sure what I touched...I also accidently touched this little thing next to the fuse which emitted a spark as well...*hides in shame*

pepi93

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I found the PAD6205 and if you're just referring to touching the soldering contact point that's there it shows no reading at all...I even dug the probe a little bit in because I think these motherboards have a coating on them to protect from electrical surge?

Status
Not open for further replies.