Laptop won't recognize external monitors please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhflavah

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Hi guys I'm having problems connecting to a second monitor. The thing is, my dell 700m no longer recognizes a second monitor at all when I go into properties --> settings. I have installed all the drivers for it as well, is anyone else having the same problem? I had reformatted the computer using korean windows xp for my dad, our toshiba runs fine w/the the korean windows xp and can support dual monitor features, but for some reason my dell is no longer showing any kind of support or response for the dvi output. any help?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Is there a key combination you need to press to turn the optional output on? It is probably a key labeled "Fn" plus one with a symbol for the two monitor types on it to toggle between them.

duhflavah

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
hey jjt283 thanks for the response i am a total newb so sorry if i'm computer illiterate. yes i've tried the fn+f8 it no longer works for some reason. The interesting thing is that when I go to settings under properties it shows an icon of an old computer monitor (not a flat panel) and that is it pretty much. Before there was "Monitor 1" with "Monitor 2" in gray. But that feature no longer shows up. Thanks again JJ and Happy Holidays bro.

duhflavah

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I thought it had to do with the version of Windows of XP I was running, but it works fine on my dad's old Toshiba notebook. Should I try re-installing all the drivers for it?

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I remember I had an NEC versa laptop with an ATI mobility graphics chipset - i discovered after a particular driver revision the multiple monitor support stopped working.....

I'd still bet on Fn+F8 - press the combination once with the monitor connected and wait for a few seconds then try again to cycle through the options sometomes they need a Fn+F8 holding the function key and giving the F8 two or three presses then letting go of everything and waiting for a second....

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
What happens when you boot with the second monitor attached?
Is there a setting in the BIOS setup for enabling/disabling external display?
Do you have a port replicator of a docking station?
Have you tried the S-Video?

Regardless, as far as I know the Inspiron 700m has only a VGA out, not a DVI

G

I had the same problem and it took me a while to figure it out. I suspected it was a driver problem, but then I was misled and told that was probably not it.
But..my initial thoughts were correct: It's a missing driver.

I uninstalled all ATI related drivers.
Then I google my computer model+display drivers. I downloaded ATI display driver and then it worked.
You have to download the ATI display driver before you download ATI Radeon... It wouldn't even let me download ATI Radeon.
To make sure you have the same problem, right click my computer, go to properties and look at the missing drivers (the icon is a question mark and then it shows each missing driver with an exclamation mark). It'll probably say VGA something or other ( I wish I had written this down)...
Anyway... look for a basic display driver of your choice, I Like Ati...
Hope this helps those poor souls with the same damn problem I had for a month.

chuckit_123

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Hi,

I have an HDMI port that stopped working. First, I checked my diplay divers through device manager which was supposed to go online and check. That 'device driver' check told me I have the most up to date software. (After that,I got a little pop up box in which I was asked if I wanted to buy some shares in the Brooklyn Bridge.) Next, I went to AMD's site and downloaded software which was supposed to find the best driver for me. I did that download and installed the 'appropriate' diver. I then checked my 'Windows update and found I had an optional ATI/AMD update available. I downloaded and installed that, restarted and I'm back in business!

machine: HP Entertainment DV7
processor: AMD triple core 8 gb

Status
Not open for further replies.