Laptop won't turn display on after disassembly

Sep 15, 2018
I Have Acer Aspire E14 laptop with Nvidia GPU

i have a strange experience with my laptop, whenever after i disassemble it and power it on. it wont turn on the display. just a blinking light bulb indicator. I know my laptop very well cleaned it and disassemble it many times with no problems after it. But now every time i do a disassembly with this laptop, it's just keep happening the blinking light bulb indicator thing with no display.

I found the solution on my own which is to remove the built in battery inside and re insert it.

But my question is why it is happening now? is there something wrong with my procedures? I wear gloves every time i disassemble it. and even before this problem i dont use gloves at all and still it works perfect.

P.S it has OC Nvidia gpu with a maximum temp on gaming at 72 degrees centigrade.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
The button cell battery on the motherboard maintains any bios setting that you manually change. Removing this battery resets the bios to factory conditions. I've seen this same issue when building brand new desktop PCs, i.e. no display. One of the first things that occurs when booting a PC is determine what hardware is connected. My theory is that since the bios chip is still "partially powered", some bits get flipped during disassembly/re-assembly. It depends on the age and condition of the battery and how sensitive the bios chip is to very small changes in voltage.

You're not doing anything wrong. Your PC is just slightly more sensitive than other laptops. BTW, the gloves are not necessary. The concern is static electricity. Don't walk across a carpet in stockings,etc. Also, I would suggest only disassembling the laptop when temps are noticeable higher and/or you see a lot of dust in the vents. The little ribbon connectors in a laptops are delicate and are not built for lots of repeated disassembly/assembly cycles.

Sep 15, 2018

I can access my heat sink without moving those ribbon cable. I didn't even touch much of the motherboard, only the fan to motherboard connector. is it possible that it could be a static electricity. or the frequent disassembly of this laptop that leads to this problem..