Laptop won't (usually) connect to wifi but connects hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_One

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
I am running Windows 7 on a lenovo laptop. Previously the laptop connected ok to wifi, but occasionally stopped working. Now completely not working. No Internet access yellow triangle on small pop up, but under wireless network connection it says WiFi is connected, plus full signal.
I just set up a hotspot from my phone and it connects immediately and loads pages.. So yep, it can find the WiFi no problem.
Have tried unistalling network adapter, system restore and downloaded another broadcom driver (though this one is apparently up to date).. All to no avail. Please help.. This problem has been coming and going for two years - now it looks like it wants to stay!

Did you update the BIOS exactly how it´s described in the how to?

1. Click the file link to download the file from the web page.
2. Locate the file 5fcn95ww_public 64bit.exe, and 5fcn95ww_private 64bit.exe that has been downloaded.
3. Double click the 5fcn95ww_public 64bit.exe icon and install.
4. During the process, you are advised not to turn off the computer.
5. When the update finishes, the computer will automatically reboot for the changes to take effect.
6. Double click the 5fcn95ww_ private 64bit.exe icon and install.
7. During the process, you are advised not to turn off the computer.
8. When the update finishes, the computer will automatically reboot for the changes to take effect.

By dead you mean the BIOS update failed and the laptop doesn´t post anything? No screen no beep no blinking leds?

Mark_One

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

Yes, yes, this is the 4th place I've lived so router isn't the issue I think, and I can access the password pop up. Enter that (I've tried removing network too), and now it doesn't say there is a problem (before there was a pop up saying connection issue) , it just has 'unidentified network: no Internet access and yellow triangle' .. But when I open that, full signal and says its connected (but it isn't)

SgtScream

Estimable
Dec 8, 2016

To effectively test wifi connection using your phone, you'll have to disable your data plan's 3/4g connection.

Mark_One

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

Yes I know that thanks.. The house wifi is fine. I've used my laptop at four different house wifi connections (including this one previously). Usually ok for a while but then yellow triangle and needs to be restarted to connect. Now permanently went chimney. Actually now maybe dead after another guy suggested updating bios!
Phone always connects to wifi no problem

SgtScream

Estimable
Dec 8, 2016
Ok - so you get an exclamation point on your wifi adapter. Please open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and post the output. Do the same for another wireless device that is working properly. Clearly label each as to which one works and which one doesn't.

Did you update the BIOS exactly how it´s described in the how to?

1. Click the file link to download the file from the web page.
2. Locate the file 5fcn95ww_public 64bit.exe, and 5fcn95ww_private 64bit.exe that has been downloaded.
3. Double click the 5fcn95ww_public 64bit.exe icon and install.
4. During the process, you are advised not to turn off the computer.
5. When the update finishes, the computer will automatically reboot for the changes to take effect.
6. Double click the 5fcn95ww_ private 64bit.exe icon and install.
7. During the process, you are advised not to turn off the computer.
8. When the update finishes, the computer will automatically reboot for the changes to take effect.

By dead you mean the BIOS update failed and the laptop doesn´t post anything? No screen no beep no blinking leds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anderdid Laptop Tech Support 0
VJK Laptop Tech Support 1
Mathias Aivasovsky Laptop Tech Support 1
Xubair Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 5
Siddhanta Mallick Laptop Tech Support 4
B Laptop Tech Support 3
Pte Junior Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 0