Laptops and video cards, how can I make a laptop last longer?

Mysteryman2000

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
So I was thinking the other day about getting a laptop, and one thing that came to mind was the video card being a problem when newer video cards come out. Would it be possible to make a custom bottom for the laptop and attach the video cards that way, so that the size or shape of the video cards being put in doesn't matter?

Solution
Laptop and upgradeability don't mix. You can upgrade memory, hard drive and wifi card and that is about it.

Some laptops allow a cpu and gpu upgrade, but you are very limited to what "upgrades" where factory options. If you get a laptop with an i5 and say a 960 gpu and there is a higher end version of your model with an i7 and a 980 gpu then you can likely upgrade to that, but there will be absolutely no way to upgrade to say a 1180 gpu in 2-3 years.

rkj_rox

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
no bro thats not possible till now
vedio cards can only run on pci slots connected to motherboards by pin and you just cant do that connecting a usb by making a custom bottom
its a great innovation though hope to see it in future

Laptop and upgradeability don't mix. You can upgrade memory, hard drive and wifi card and that is about it.

Some laptops allow a cpu and gpu upgrade, but you are very limited to what "upgrades" where factory options. If you get a laptop with an i5 and say a 960 gpu and there is a higher end version of your model with an i7 and a 980 gpu then you can likely upgrade to that, but there will be absolutely no way to upgrade to say a 1180 gpu in 2-3 years.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS