Laptop's Dedicated GPU not being utilized in favor of Intel Chip

Celebrant

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hi all, I have an Acer Aspire V, which contains, among other things, a NVIDIA GeForce 840M and an Intel Integrated Graphics Chip, i think the 5500 model?

Anyways, sometime in the past few months my laptop switched from using the dedicated NVIDIA GPU to using the intel chip for graphics. I have tried to switch it through the NVIDIA control panel and through the windows Display Settings panel and been unsuccessful. I've also made sure my drivers are updated and have tried restarting my computer. I'm not the best at technological things so if there is any basic obvious solutions that I might have missed, I welcome them as much as any less-obvious ideas.

Thanks,
RRW

Solution
I attempted a solution from a different thread for the 840M, which consisted of downloading HWMonitor and did not appear to have worked at the time. However, upon examining the program again, it seems to have just...fixed itself, without me having made any major changes to anything since the last check. From what happened the thread I examined, it seems that just installing the monitoring software and waiting solves the issue somehow.

Celebrant

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

Thank you! Unfortunately, this did not solve the issue. I tend to use it with the power cable more often than not and it does not seem to make a difference.

Celebrant

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I attempted a solution from a different thread for the 840M, which consisted of downloading HWMonitor and did not appear to have worked at the time. However, upon examining the program again, it seems to have just...fixed itself, without me having made any major changes to anything since the last check. From what happened the thread I examined, it seems that just installing the monitoring software and waiting solves the issue somehow.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Celebrant : "Laptop's Dedicated GPU not being utilized in favor of Intel Chip"

TRENDING THREADS