Solved! My HP omen laptop wont use dedicated graphics for internal display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2020
I have the HP Omen ce018dx.

It will only use the integrated intel gpu and not the nvidia 1050.

The nvidia gpu will only work on external displays.

I've tried disabling the Intel graphics and restarted PC. Thinking this would force it to use nvidia but it didn't. Instead some generic graphics drivers were being used.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling nvidia and still won't work

Solution
Did this happen after a Windows update or after you updated the video drivers from nVidia and not HP site? Go to HP support site, download the Intel and nVidia drivers from there, delete the existing video drivers, both Intel and nVidia, run DDU to further wipe them. Then run the Intel drivers you downloaded, then the nVidia drivers you downloaded from HP site. See if that fixes things.

I actually decided to use Microsoft Cloud Recovery. It allowed me to install a restore file on flash drive and wipe the machine to bring it back to factory install. So as of now it's like fresh out of box again. :) I'm super glad especially since the restore file that came pre-installed was corrupt.
Did this happen after a Windows update or after you updated the video drivers from nVidia and not HP site? Go to HP support site, download the Intel and nVidia drivers from there, delete the existing video drivers, both Intel and nVidia, run DDU to further wipe them. Then run the Intel drivers you downloaded, then the nVidia drivers you downloaded from HP site. See if that fixes things.

Oct 30, 2020

I actually decided to use Microsoft Cloud Recovery. It allowed me to install a restore file on flash drive and wipe the machine to bring it back to factory install. So as of now it's like fresh out of box again. :) I'm super glad especially since the restore file that came pre-installed was corrupt.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.