Laptop's HDD not working and not showing

May 23, 2018
Hi im using Lenovo legion y720

Recently ,the laptop was making a weird noise ,it was just getting louder and louder,I didn't mind it though.(I thought it was the fans hitting something)

But today it finally stopped! But when i fired up my laptop it doesnt show the HDD although the ssd was working.So im assuming that noise was the HDD.Any ways to fix this without opening the laptop?
(otherwise im just going to send it for repairs)

I tried the disk management thingy and it shows the ssd and the recovery and two others(one of them is called Disk 0 partition 1 and the other was WINRE_DRV.

i7 7700HQ
16GB RAM
GTX 1060 6gb
256 SSD
1TB HDD

Solution
Dead HDD. No backup.
Get a new one. If it's still under warranty, you get it for free.
But data is lost. Professional data recovery services will cost you significantly.

Dave8671

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Sounds like the Hdd died Unfortunately you need to replace the drive.

Fans normally do not hit things they can also develop hardware failures also.

My PC game system had a fan issue when I troubleshooted it it was my GPU fan. That was the cause had to get a new GPU.

May 23, 2018

thats sad to hear :( is there any way i could retrieve the files and data?
and will replacing it my self void the warranty?

rgd1101

Don't

not if the hdd failed. You can try data recovery service https://www.seagate.com/services-software/recover/

May 23, 2018

Ok thanks! I'll try that right now

And no I didnt do/make any backup

Dave8671

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I figured there was no backup of the backup :). Data recovery of a drive can cost $250 and up. Here is how I backup my primary drive. I use FreeFileSync to create each backup which basically is folder to folder. I will backup the backup files to a DVD or a CD depending on the size of the backup.

This tool to make it easier to backup copy all the data you want to keep and it finds issues with files and lets you know. I do mirroring left to right for my backups this is just one direction make sure you setup each backup not to delete the source.