Laptop's Temperatures and Thermal Paste

Fotis_12

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
Hello guys,

My laptop has started using the fan more than usual and it is getting annoying, I have cleaned it inside but it is still the same. I have core i5 3230M and i am getting 60-75C with only using Firefox for surfing. I am considering it as high for my usability, right? The summer hasn't began for sure so i am considering to replace my thermal paste. I searched a little bit and i liked "Phobya LM" thermal paste. I would like to ask if 1gr thermal paste is enough for replacing both GPU and CPU pastes?? (sorry for my English)

Solution

Yes, Use the KRYONAUT for cpu/gpu and there will be pads to replace(as they never make good contact if used again), use MINUS PAD 8 ,They come in thicknesses of 0,5mm, 1mm, 1,5mm, 2mm., you need to see what thicknesses was used in there originally and replace with same, you can double the pads to make a thicker one, as long as you don't trap air in between the layers

*Tip..... use an a4 sheet of paper with a few strips of cheap double-sided tape stuck on, gapped down the page and a pen, as you remove screws you stick them to the tape and then you can label where they come from on the paper just above them with the pen.
Handy if your laptop uses lots...

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

That paste is metal based, suitable for cpu if you use it sparingly, but on the gpu chip this is dangerous, as those chips have exposed electronics close to the heatsink and metal paste on them will fry. Use Arctic Silver Céramique paste http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm, It performs better than metal based and is safer. Around a GPU you may find you need thermal pads as well on VRM and memory chips etc

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

Yes, Use the KRYONAUT for cpu/gpu and there will be pads to replace(as they never make good contact if used again), use MINUS PAD 8 ,They come in thicknesses of 0,5mm, 1mm, 1,5mm, 2mm., you need to see what thicknesses was used in there originally and replace with same, you can double the pads to make a thicker one, as long as you don't trap air in between the layers

*Tip..... use an a4 sheet of paper with a few strips of cheap double-sided tape stuck on, gapped down the page and a pen, as you remove screws you stick them to the tape and then you can label where they come from on the paper just above them with the pen.
Handy if your laptop uses lots of different sized screws, you will thank me later :)

Solution

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

Best to watch a video on someone stripping that machine and you will see how, what pad thicknesses needed etc

Handy if your laptop uses lots of different sized screws, you will thank me later :)

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

Yes possible, But could you link me to the video's, as i still have no idea what make/model this is for :)

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

Yes it has no pads, it's a fairly straight forward affair with that laptop, i was picturing a laptop with a dedicated gpu card , but yours is easy, you just need to remove bottom cover as he did and only remove the fan/heatsink that cools both gpu/cpu, clean and refit all with new paste. some are a nightmare :) not this one though
* a one gram tube will do up to a dozen pc's