Solved! Laptops vs notebooks vs netbooks

hunterkarl

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello,I am trying to decide what to buy Laptop vs notebook. I like the notebook size. I have been offered internet for 1 year for 14.95 but it would cost me additional monies to hook up wireless if it is notebook. If I buy lap top than the cost will be the 14.95 for internet. What are the differences? Please help me
my funds are limited monthly and I can't spend more than 4ooish for computer bjj

Solution
well, one thing I'd like to point out afaik there's no difference between laptop and notebook
there's a significant difference between the latter 2 and a nEtbook.
Netbooks are typically significantly smaller than laptops, but lack certain features like, fullsize keyboard, cd-rom, etc.

Regarding the internet, unless you are being offered a deal on broadband for one year, you should be able to get the same internet for a netbook as for the laptop.

I think you need to identify your needs, think about which features you want and don't want in a computer and then fill out the following questions:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop

then you'll be able to get some more directed help as to which one you should buy

AntiZig

Distinguished
well, one thing I'd like to point out afaik there's no difference between laptop and notebook
there's a significant difference between the latter 2 and a nEtbook.
Netbooks are typically significantly smaller than laptops, but lack certain features like, fullsize keyboard, cd-rom, etc.

Regarding the internet, unless you are being offered a deal on broadband for one year, you should be able to get the same internet for a netbook as for the laptop.

I think you need to identify your needs, think about which features you want and don't want in a computer and then fill out the following questions:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop

then you'll be able to get some more directed help as to which one you should buy

Solution

Leopardson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

I would not recommend going with the offer. The "Internet" for 14.95 a year is almost fast enough to load very basic pages. With the java/flash loaded pages we have today, you might not even be able to check your own e-mail in a reasonable amount of time.

Generally, I find that Netbooks and Notebooks have the most gimmicks that aren't really helpful, and are often hurtful. Of course, laptops have them too (Avoid the ones that boast a huge processor or a huge hard drive. They almost always, if not always, sacrifice a decent graphics chip to get there.). But not nearly as much as a netbook or a notebook, in my experience.

Now, a netbook and notebook aren't all gimmicks. A notebook is a good choice if you want something with a lot of battery life. A netbook is a great choice if you want something light you can easily carry around the house and sit however you want.

Also, I have a few netbooks and they are some of the toughest laptops I have ever had. Perhaps it is luck or perhaps it is density.
One time, I balanced a netbook of mine on a plugged-in toaster. The netbook and the toaster fell into a bowl of fruit punch. It was a ridiculous and hilarious death of a laptop.
Or, it would have been, but the netbook dried out and worked fine.

But, in my opinion, a laptop's speed outweighs it's slight bulkiness and fragile structure (Note the flimsiness of the monitors). A laptop, to be sold, must have a faster processor and a better graphics chip than a netbook or notebook, because otherwise, it's bulky, flimsy and bare-bones software.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
People, Antizig is correct. "Laptop" is simply an older term for "notebook". Older people (me, for instance :)) who have been around computers for a long time (since 1977) tend to use "laptop" to describe what you would call a "notebook".

Netbooks are different. In many ways, a netbook is a toy "laptop" or "notebook" (take your pick).

A netbook makes an excellent, inexpensive secondary computer for travel, portability, or basic computing tasks. It makes a poor primary computer if you do need more than a basic computer.