Large Doc Software

Feb 14, 2018
Hi Smart Tech Peole,

I am looking for software that can handle a 400 plus page document with a lot of photos inserted into it. We used Word for such a document before, but it was extremely slow on more than a few computers that we tried. Does such a program exist?

Solution
Best practices would recommend that you break that document up in to a master document and subdocuments. Then editing can be done in parallel and only final formatting, done in the master document, would require a large computer. Be sure you are using the 64 bit version of word.

kanewolf

Judicious
Best practices would recommend that you break that document up in to a master document and subdocuments. Then editing can be done in parallel and only final formatting, done in the master document, would require a large computer. Be sure you are using the 64 bit version of word.

Solution
Feb 14, 2018

Thank you Kanewolf,

We set up the sub documents like you said. Without that I don't think it would have worked. We still had problems saving the document as a .doc and .pdf. We still recieved several times pop-ups saying we need to take some photos or text out to save. Is word the only way to go and we just need to break it up into smaller subdocuments?

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

Even Quark is still around. (just found out)

Feb 14, 2018

I just took a look. We are using teh 32 Bit version. Will using the 64 bit version make a lot of difference? Thanks for the tip!

kanewolf

Judicious

If you have RAM, this should help. You are limited to a couple GB of usable RAM with the 32 bit version of Word. Most hosts have 8 or 16GB RAM so you should have physical resources.