Leave laptop charger plugged into UPS?

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Would it be ok to leave a laptop charger plugged into an UPS when not connected to the laptop or is having power flowing through the charger unnecessarily not a good idea? I'm guessing that it would also not be a good idea to plug the charger into the UPS while the UPS is powered on each time I want the charger either would it? That becomes a major inconvenience to shutdown my Desktop PC connected to the UPS to power the UPS off just to connect the laptop charger and power it all up again. Any suggestions? I believe the Cyberpower power panel business edition software has the ability to isolate power to individual plug outputs on the UPS but I cannot get the software to run on my machine.

Solution
What you are thinking is correct.

one note is that you have to see the small tube as the charging cable (described as before) whenever you remove the tube out of the cup with water, the water inside of the tube returns back to the tube and/or spills somewhere else,

with the actual charger it has to do with voltage.

whenever you disconnect the charger from the UPS, the voltage inside the charging cable will cut and loses the current electricity flow back to the UPS and/or dissapears.

here is one with a metaphor

whenever you removed the small tube from cup 1 (UPS), the water inside the small tube will fall back in the cup and/or some will spill on the desk.

hope the graphical picture is now quite clear ;)

MLG_No_Scope

Prominent
May 23, 2017
as long nothing is powering with that charger, there is no worries that the UPS would lose electricity?

no problems to leave it in there, shouldn't cause any problem

but still watch out to not spill anything on it as water and electricty are each other's worst nightmare

MLG_No_Scope

Prominent
May 23, 2017
see this like your are holding a cup and filling it with water. you leave it for a minute on the desk. the water is still there after a minute

compare this with the ups and the charger. it will lose a little bit of power, but that amount is so small, you can compare like you aren't eating the little crumbles of a cookie on the desk.

so no worries

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
So the charger only receives a very small amount of power from the UPS while it's not charging the laptop, how does the charger know when to request full power from the UPS/wall when it connects to charge the laptop?

MLG_No_Scope

Prominent
May 23, 2017
because the charger transfers the electricty to an battery which is in this case the battery of the laptop.

with the cup of water, see it like you are spilling some water to another cup with a very small tube, the cup is the UPS and the very small tube is the charging cable.

there will only go water through the tube when there is another cup and the cube is in the another cup. that way the water is transfering from cup 1 (UPS) to cup 2 (The laptop battery)

the tube cannot empty the cup by itself, only if it is connected to another cup

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
The picture is becoming clearer. I think what your saying is that the charger doesn't actually produce more current when it's connected to the laptop battery, it just starts releasing the power through the cable, is that right? Does that mean the charger is storing power when it's disconnected? Who ever knew chargers and batteries would be such a fascinating discussion.

MLG_No_Scope

Prominent
May 23, 2017
What you are thinking is correct.

one note is that you have to see the small tube as the charging cable (described as before) whenever you remove the tube out of the cup with water, the water inside of the tube returns back to the tube and/or spills somewhere else,

with the actual charger it has to do with voltage.

whenever you disconnect the charger from the UPS, the voltage inside the charging cable will cut and loses the current electricity flow back to the UPS and/or dissapears.

here is one with a metaphor

whenever you removed the small tube from cup 1 (UPS), the water inside the small tube will fall back in the cup and/or some will spill on the desk.

hope the graphical picture is now quite clear ;)

Solution

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah I get it, thanks. :) A slightly different question, is it ok to let a laptop battery discharge to zero and just leave it until when ever I plug it in again? Or if I am not using it would it better to charge the battery to 100% and shutdown the laptop completely to preserve as much battery as possible?

MLG_No_Scope

Prominent
May 23, 2017
okay get this, this is going to be really weird to graphical imagine this xD, but i try to metaphor this again:

In previous metaphor, cup 1 with water is the UPS
Again as the previous metaphor, cup 2 with water is the laptop battery

when cup 2 is not connected with cup 1 via the small tube (again the little chargeing cable), cup 2 will drain water to the laptop hardware. the cup will become more empty and when it hits 0, everything stops.

okay, so you plug the tube back in cup 2 and the cup is filling up again, but when it filled up to the point where there is no room in the cup. it somewhat spills over the desk, which has the laptop hardware parts that needs it. so what is happening in short, the laptop's battery will understand that it will not need as much power and charges up/down quicker. also your laptop could incalibrate in power percentage.

so undercharging cannot harm, overcharging can harm. but the notice is spread around if you are doing it for a year straight, which you aren't doing.

undercharging is not a problem, overcharging CAN.

hope this helps :D