LED Lights Can Fake Daylight For Indoor-Junkies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]All this stupid technology to simulate natural light. Um. I think I'll just go outside.[/citation]

Not when "outside" is plagued with nuclear fallout, horse-sized cockroaches, disease and zombies!!!

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
"We may find ourselves stuck underground while waiting for the fallout of World War III to dissipate"

I won't be waiting for the fallout to subside. I'm just going to go outside and hang on the surface and hopefully turn into some bad ass mutant and then start a school for gifted kids in New York state.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
LED's aren't so good at imitating sunlight.
The spectrum and non-visible parts of sunlight have also positive effects on humans.
I'm concerned about the spectrum of the LED's.
They could have some negative effect on our eyes or eye-strain.
Because in the skin there are biological of course chemical factories to make all kinds of useful stuff.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Not surprised at all that something like this has turned up after seeing one of the most active bunker building periods in this country's history. We got just about every thing down there, even growing crops under UV lighting.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]All this stupid technology to simulate natural light. Um. I think I'll just go outside.[/citation]
Yeah, go outside. Good luck when you come back inside though.

I like natural-esque light when it's a dark, British night, which can be like, 10-16 hours long.

Yeah, screw you.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
PS: At the worst point in winter, it'll be fully bright around 8am (later on cloudy days) and then it gets dark again at around 4pm (earlier if cloudy).

Go further north and it gets less and less.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]LED's aren't so good at imitating sunlight. The spectrum and non-visible parts of sunlight have also positive effects on humans. I'm concerned about the spectrum of the LED's. They could have some negative effect on our eyes or eye-strain. Because in the skin there are biological of course chemical factories to make all kinds of useful stuff.[/citation]

Are you referring to the 'blue hazard'? If so, that only applies for blue LED's (who uses these in their house anyway?) and cool white LED's (which can easily be replaced by warm white for most applications).

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Neat, but what nobody has windows, skylights, or whatever? I mean with those you can get the daylight indoors for free and not have to use led lights. Still nice idea though.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
@ you people who say, "Just go outside" or something to that effect.

Despite our (human beings) intelligence, we are still driven by the same circadian rhythm as our protohuman ancestors. Like them, we are dependent upon solar cycles for the regulation of many of our biological functions. Studies have shown that those people who work graveyard shifts, or are awake all night for whatever reason, suffer greater physiological and emotional stress leading to chronic health problems and shortening of their lifespan. My wife's Masters thesis was on the effects of circadian rhythm disruption on women who are pregnant. Her research showed a strong correlation between an increase rate of miscarriage and women who work the graveyard shift, or who are up at odd hours.

These problems are most pronounced when people "see the sun" just before going to bed. For example, test pilots on the top-secret, Skunkworks, Stealth Fighter program would return to the hanger as the sun was starting to rise. They would see the sun coming up before retirng to their windowless bunker where they would sleep during the day. Most of the pilots experienced insomnia and inconsistant performance during their test flights. Then, their schedule was modified so that they would return to base and be in their bunker when it was still dark (about an hour and a half earlier). The cases of insomnia were dramatically reduced and their performance was significantly improved and much more consistent.

Of course, this applies to anyone who works nights or keeps odd hours. Provided they spend most of their time indoors, the then use of such lighting to create the illusion of working normal hours could offer great benefits.

G

Any hydroponics farmer from the 1990s can tell you that LEDs are not a suitable substitution for sunlight. Old news. Just because some designer (I bet hes on unemployment..) put LEDs in a parallelogram array does not mean there has been any breakthrough that befits a tech news site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS