left monitor = left speaker, right monitor = right speaker

lxgoldsmith

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
I'm planning to buy a W8 upgrade disc or clean install on my desktop so I can try and get used to it before making my laptop upgrade for school next year.

This means I'll have a new dual touchscreen monitor setup.

I found these: http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2270SMH-LED-22-Inch-Monitor-Frameless/dp/B009F1HUMQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

They have good reviews and advertise quality sound, which means normal sound for monitors. I really want each monitor to play one channel sound so it evens out and doesn't sound mono.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I have an old dual aux to single aux for those airplanes that still do that. Would there be a reverse version of this to split sound back into the separate, 1 channel aux ports? (this does not mean a splitter)

Solution
At the computer end:
41JGQR4TJML._SX300_.jpg

At the monitor end
1178oDeWxpL.jpg

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK

A 3.5mm to RCA Red/White. This splits the audio between left and right in two different wires.
Now get 2 x RCA -> 3.5mm for the other end to go in the monitors.

Or, you could wire something up yourself. A 3.5mm splitter, and cut the Left lead for the right monitor, and the Right lead for the left monitor.

Everything you need could be got from a dollar store.

Get 1x 1/8" headphone spliter to split the signal coming from your sound card to 2 outputs.
get 4x 1/8" stereo to RCA jacks.
get 2x RCA to RCA joiner.

Split the signal coming from the PC with the splitter. Into each one goes a headphone to RCA. Then on the monitor going to the LEFT, use the RCA to RCA joiner and join the WHITE jacks only to another headphone to RCA cable.

Repeat with the other one only joining the RED's together and connect to the right monitor.

7x$1=&4 plus whatever your taxes are.

lxgoldsmith

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

like two of these:
http://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-40645-Stereo-Adapter/dp/B000J1H4VI/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366232701&sr=1-7&keywords=rca+to+3.5mm

and one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366232534&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+to+3.5mm

and connect based on monitor orientation?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Those will work, but see my images above (also from Amazon)

Not going to work. The second adapter you linked is a RCA to mono, therefore each monitor will get a mono signal and both input out the left or right only channel. Each monitor needs a stereo signal, but with one channel blocked out, hence my way of doing it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Why wouldn't that work? All each monitor wants is either a left or right. Which was split out by the other cable.

It depends on how the monitor handles the signal but it expects a stereo signal and with your way, you're feeding a mono signal. Most devices will only play a mono signal out of 1 speaker, hence both monitors would have the left speaker working, one playing a left signal, one playing a right signal, but both only out of the left speaker none the less.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yes, that is a possibility.
Or it may play the mono out of both. Only way to be sure is to try.

And as you said...all those parts are easily and cheaply sourced.

Ya, hard to know how it would handle mono, hence my suggestion to divide the signal into mono and then pass back through a stereo jack.

So you want the left monitor to play out of its left and right speakers to play the left channel and the right monitor to play out of it left and right speakers the right signal? you will have 4 speakers.

I would assume you would L - x - x - R (will x being no sound) and not

L -L -R -R That wouldn't sound good because the inside L - R would create a stereo signal and that would conflict with the L and R on the outsides. I would think L - x - x - R sounding the best in that situation.

OR just buy a good set of speakers and put one on the L and R sides. I don't care how good anyone says monitor speakers are, a decent set of stand alone speakers will out do them and sound way better. There just isn't the room in a monitor to get good bass sounds.