lenevo y40 vs y50?

apr960604

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
So ive been looking at a computer for college and stumbled across these two models. Besides the different screen sizes, which one has better hardware for the prices they are listed at? or is there a better laptop out there offering similar hardware for a reduced price? thanks

Solution
The performance difference between the Y40 and the Y50 is enormous. The Y40's i5-4210U Processor is similiar to an i3-3000M series Processor. The "U" designation trades performance for battery life effiency. So the Y40 should have more stable battery life at 4-5 hours compared to the Y50.

However, the Y50's i7-4710HQ and 860M is miles above in performance compared to the Y40. The Y50 isn't much heavier with the weight of 5.3lbs and the Y40's 4.9lbs.

The screen size is the only difference in physical attributes. So if you have the extra $200, the Y50 is the obvious choice and the difference will be night and day.

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

dschulz

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Keep in mind that in college you have to carry the laptop EVERYWHERE. I just went in last year and I ended up ditching my 15.6" samsung for a 5-year-old Dell simply since it was a 13.3" and was about 2 lbs. lighter. This year I'm trying something different. I'm keeping the Dell for mobile work and using my new y410p (predecessor to the y40) for use in the dorm and for any intense programs I have to run. I would say to go for the y40 if you are concerned about portability.

The performance difference between the Y40 and the Y50 is enormous. The Y40's i5-4210U Processor is similiar to an i3-3000M series Processor. The "U" designation trades performance for battery life effiency. So the Y40 should have more stable battery life at 4-5 hours compared to the Y50.

However, the Y50's i7-4710HQ and 860M is miles above in performance compared to the Y40. The Y50 isn't much heavier with the weight of 5.3lbs and the Y40's 4.9lbs.

The screen size is the only difference in physical attributes. So if you have the extra $200, the Y50 is the obvious choice and the difference will be night and day.

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

Solution

Y40Support

Estimable
Oct 21, 2014

Where do you get support for the Lenovo Y40? I'm currently in Sweden and Lenovo/Medion told me that Lenovo Y40 isn't supported at all within Europe. Sad to say that I have to ship it back to the US for repairs since I'm under warranty.

However, in general, wouldn't recommend Lenovo's Y series laptops in general. They come nothing close to the Thinkpad experience. It was actually my 4 year experience using the IBM and Lenovo Thinkpad that encouraged me to try other Lenovo models. In general, I am a very disappointed with the support from Lenovo/Medion in Europe and the US.