Lenov y510p, Install Windows 7 and Samsung 840 EVO SSD

jamida

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a new Lenovo y510p. I bought a new samsung 840 EVO SSD for Windows 7 (so the original Win 8 install is on the factory supplied hard drive). I would like to format the SSD into a 100G and a 400G partition, with the plan to install the OS on the 100G partition. I believe I know all the steps for this process but I am not sure of the order and am running into a little difficulty. Here's my plan and questions/difficulties.

Samsung SSD already installed in the laptop, I have a full install Windows 7 disk and I have the Levovo drivers on a separate USB drive. I have *not* run the Samsung Magician program. I have the BIOS set to various LEGACY modes. In fact I did a successful install of Win 7 but with the drive as a single full 500 G partition.

1. Install windows 7
1-a. choose options to partition SSD into a 100G and 400G
(run into difficulty here. the 100G partition comes back as "primary" and the 400G is showing as "unallocated" but I am unable to select the 100G as the partition on which to install Win 7. Note I'm doing this via the GUI option. I have not yet tried getting into the command line and using diskpart.)
2. boot into windows 7 and then install the various Lenovo drivers.

Questions:
Do I need to use the Samsung Magician program?
Is installing the Lenovo drivers AFTER the Win-7 install an acceptable step or should I try to install the drivers (somehow) during the installation of Win-7

Thanks!

Solution
If you're successfully installed W7 in a full 500Gb partition, you can resize the hard drive using this tool IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free (get a free code at the bottom of the page). And install the laptop drivers after you successfully installed Windows.

supasieu

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
If you're successfully installed W7 in a full 500Gb partition, you can resize the hard drive using this tool IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free (get a free code at the bottom of the page). And install the laptop drivers after you successfully installed Windows.

Solution

jamida

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

That's an excellent suggestion, I'll try it. Thanks. Note though when I went back after that full disk install to try to create a 100G partition for the OS ... the previous install had created a couple of 100MB partitions on its own. I'm assuming those are boot loader related partitions, and your suggestion is to merely re-partition the 3rd ~499GB partition.

supasieu

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
The 100MB System Reserved will show up in the program, just don't resize or do anything to it. In IM-Magic, right click on the large (400Gb+) partition and resize it. Enter the amount of the partition size (1Gb = 1024Mb) and click on the "Unallocate space before" box. Click Ok, Apply Changes and Reboot. Once reboot, Start > Run > type diskmgmt.msc > bring up Disk Management and right click the Unallocated space and Create new partition.