Lenovo all in one won't boot after Windows 10 update May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2018
I have a Lenovo B50-30 all in one computer. After most recent Windows 10 update (May 2018), my computer will not boot. I have been on the phone with Microsoft multiple times, tried changing boot sequence, downloaded windows file, but computer won't boot from USB.

Solution
After much effort, we found a solution that worked. Go into BIOS (press F! as the computer boots), go to the Security tab and disabled Lenovo service engine. Then computer booted up, finished the Windows update and is now working!!!

Afterwards, we found this information about the service engine:http://news.lenovo.com/news-releases/lenovo-statement-on-lenovo-service-engine-lse-bios.htm
and this article on this site:https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-lenovo-bootkit-removal,news-21456.html

I hope this solution works for others who are having similar difficulties.

Doseq

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014
Do you have any restore points?
Did you prepared your USB stick correctly?
Did you turned off some creepy Lenovo "secure" options in BIOS, they are always messing something up with a secret secure boot only button or Legacy instead of UEFI...

May 21, 2018
Microsoft downloaded the windows files to the USB (using remote connection to another computer we have) so I assume that was done correctly. I tried changing the secure boot settings. Restore points would not seem to be of any help since I can't boot the computer. It stops at the Lenovo screen. I can get into the bios, but that is it.

I should hope they did it right, but without seeing what's on the USB it's hard to say if it's setup properly.

Assuming everything else is copacetic, the only thing I can think that would prevent you from booting from the USB drive is if your laptop's BIOS lacks the ability to boot from USB (not a common issue on most computers these days).

May 21, 2018

May 21, 2018
Since we were getting nowhere with trying to boot the computer, we took out the hard drive and put it in another computer. When I tried to see my files (I was hoping to rescue files/pictures if nothing else) I got a message about not having permission to access the files and then is said continue to get access, took a long time "thinking" and when I was able to look, it appears there are no files on the drive. Is it possible they are there but just not available due to the access issue (no permission to see them)?

May 21, 2018
By the way, when talking with Microsoft about the no boot issue, I asked the tech if others were having problems like this with the Windows update. He said, yes with some "older" systems. (Mine is 3 years old).

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Have you run diagnostics on the problem hard disk?
western digital datalifeguard 4 windows is a good start

just incase the hard disk has serious problems nothing to do with the Windows update
a quick test should be enough to find out if there is any problem

If the disk passes diagnostics try chkdsk on the old c: partition ( It wont be C: in another PC)

Secure Boot should not make a difference with Win 8 or 10 boot up from USB or DVD (but stops earlier Windows starting up)
but changing disk access from legacy to UEFI will prevent Windows on hard drive booting

A USB or DVD of Win 10 should boot with either setting.

To get round Windows permisions on user files you can boot up a PC with a Linux rescue USB or DVD which will ignore Windows permisions.
(GParted is Free while Parted Magic has more features but costs about USD 10)

IF you really can't boot the problem PC from a Windows DVD or USB you wont be able to repair any corrupt boot files

the Lenovo B50-30 laptop has an Intel Celeron N2840 from 2014/2015 and has a DVD drive
does your all in one also have a dvd drive?

It may be easier to boot from a ISO image of Win 10 burnt to a DVD than a USB which is not installed correctly
Did Microsoft use their own Media Creation Tool to download & create the Windows USB?

best of luck

Mike Barnes

May 21, 2018
Thanks so much for trying to help, it has been very frustrating. I suppose it's possible my problems are unrelated to the Windows Update, but when I went to bed the computer was updating and when I woke up it was in the present state, unable to boot.
I do have a DVD drive in my computer so later I may try that. I did put the original disk that came with the Lenovo into the drive earlier and got nowhere. It has the drivers/software I assume.

Right now I have the drive back in the original (lenovo) computer so I would need to put it back in the other one try the diagnostics and linux rescue options. Could be beyond my meager computer capabilities.
I did try changing the UEFI to legacy again and that did not make a difference. I don't know if Microsoft used Media Creation Tool. They took control of our other computer and created the USB, it took a long time. I had already downloaded the ISO when chatting with them the first time, but they wanted to be sure it was "right" so did it again.

May 22, 2018

The same happened to me. Today I found my lenovo IdeaCentre B750 stocked on the boot screen (with the brand lenovo) after I planned windows 10 update. Yesterday everything was working fine ... :-( Thank you microsoft !!!

No recovery USB / CD ... :-((

May 22, 2018
Same thing happened to a Lenovo I manage at work yesterday. I restarted a few times and let it sit on the Lenovo screen and after 20 minutes or so it fires up windows. I think part of the update was still being installed. It was hard for me to be patient but in the end it paid off and wasn't a headache. Best of luck.

May 22, 2018
same for me all in one b50-30. stuck at boot logo and try wait more than 20mins no luck. need help! happen after windows10 update, everything was fine before

by pressing F2 not able to trigger recovery mode and only can access bios now. usb bootable key only work without harddisk connected. check the harddisk using docking station everything seens fine with partition healthy and C: DRIVE looks good also.

try different bios setting also no luck need help please.

May 24, 2018
I have seen this issue happen on Lenovo machines, laptops and desktops and the only way to solve the problem is to take out the hard drive, install it in another computer, save your data and format the entire disk altogether, from disk management. It would be advisable to re-partition it, too. Then install the drive back to its original computer and install windows again from scratch. I wouldn't install windows 10, though. Or if you choose to install it, disable the update service lest you'll run into this issue again.
Hope this helps. God bless!

May 21, 2018

Yesterday, we put the drive in another computer and are working on saving the data. First we used Seatools to check the disk and it seemed like it was ok. It was hard to find the data, however, almost gave up, then found that it was in the windows.old folder.

The Lenovo came with Windows 8.1 then we got a free upgrade to 10. There is no product key. The only media I have that came with the Lenovo is a disk that says "Lenovo B50-30 Win 8.1 Driver pack V1.1. " Does this contain what I need to reinstall windows or would I need to use a downloaded ini file from Microsoft (I have that on UBS from one of my support phone calls but I assume that is for Windows 10). If we reformat the entire disk as you suggest, will the bios still have the information to allow the reinstall windows 8 and.or 10 without $?

Seems that reinstalling windows and then not updating it is not a great idea either because future security updates wouldn't be applied.

May 21, 2018
After much effort, we found a solution that worked. Go into BIOS (press F! as the computer boots), go to the Security tab and disabled Lenovo service engine. Then computer booted up, finished the Windows update and is now working!!!

Afterwards, we found this information about the service engine:http://news.lenovo.com/news-releases/lenovo-statement-on-lenovo-service-engine-lse-bios.htm
and this article on this site:https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-lenovo-bootkit-removal,news-21456.html

I hope this solution works for others who are having similar difficulties.

Solution
May 24, 2018

May 24, 2018
Unfortunately, my Lenovo desktop does not contain Lenovo service engine and still crashed just like yours did.
Furthermore, according to this https://support.lenovo.com/hk/en/product_security/lse_bios_desktop , if you do not see an option for Lenovo Service Engine in your desktop system's BIOS, it is not enabled in your system and running the disable utility is not needed. So I think that my desktop has some other problem. I'm glad your solution worked out ok. Keep up the good work!

May 27, 2018

Hi !

I’ve been dealing with this situation on my Lenovo all in one since 3 days ago. I clicked “update and shut down” and went to bed, and all I know is next day the computer was fried. I could not do anything, and after trying resetting it, it would go on Lenovo logo back screen forever, even tried windows media creation tool on both USB and DVD, and it even with those the pc wouldn’t boot.

I tried dozens of different parameters on the bios, and was about to give up, felt so taken advantage of by Microsoft cause they forced the update, and Lenovo by selling me a machine with a faulty BIOS, until I found this thread. Just did as you said, disabled the Lenovo service engine and it freaking booted! Thanks!!!

Ps. I’m still halfway through installing windows again, but it seems to be going smoothly since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.