Lenovo B590 not Booting up at all

r00flr00fl

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
My Lenovo B590 was working fine yesterday, today suddenly I can't make it boot up.

I have recorded a video that demonstrates the behaviour of the Laptop on Power On:
https://youtu.be/T9IcxsIgRcE

It remains in an endless loop of powering up for a sec, making some click-sound and turning off immediately. Longpress power button ends the loop.

AC cable is connected, battery is inserted.

Things I tried that didn't solve the issue:

- Power On only with AC cable (normally and with 20 sec long Power press)
- Power On only with battery (normally and with 20 sec long Power press)
- Removing both RAM and trying it with one each in each of both RAM slots

Probably an issue with the motherboard? Anything else I could try?

Solution

Since the shutdown is instant, its unlikely to be a thermal shutdown. It sounds more like a power issue on the mainboard. Looks like you may have to get the motherboard checked/replaced.

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
It looks quite new... Have you checked the warranty status on it, you might just be best to RMA under warranty in case it is a bigger issue with the motherboard. I've found Lenovo support have been quite good in the past.

You could try taking out the hard drive to see if it will display a message similar to: "cannot find OS, or boot drive" If this happens, then that will confirm that the system can boot (albeit without a hard drive) and you may need to replace the removed hard drive and reinstall the OS.

r00flr00fl

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
Sadly no warranty anymore.
I did remove the Hard Drive but that didnt impact the behaviour.
Removing the optical drive also didnt change anything.

Probably the Mainboard / CPU / GPU ...anything else I can check?

r00flr00fl

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017

No, the screen doesnt even turn on, it just instantly shuts down (see video).
How could I check if it's a thermal shutdown?

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

Since the shutdown is instant, its unlikely to be a thermal shutdown. It sounds more like a power issue on the mainboard. Looks like you may have to get the motherboard checked/replaced.

Solution