Solved! Lenovo G50-45 charging issue

Nov 5, 2018
I've got a Lenovo g50-45 laptop. It's been great up untill the other night when it wouldn't charge. It showed "plugged in - not charging" . Occasionally it has powered up but then dies soon after. It doesn't appear to work without the battery in even when plugged into the mains. Any help?

Solution
So it won't power up when the battery is dead. Sounds like it may be one of the laptops that requires a working battery to function. You could be looking at both the charger and the battery needing replacing. Just, a suggestion, don't go aftermarket. OEM may cost more, but they work much better and have way less problems.
Try charging it when it is turned off. Not sleep or hibernate but off. If it will charge fine then, the charger is the problem. It is likely not putting out enough power to both charge the battery and run the laptop. Should that be the case, the charger then would need to be replaced.

However, if it won't charge even when it is off, then I would look into replacing the battery.

Nov 5, 2018

Thank you for the advice. I have it plugged in to the mains with the battery in right now, but I have no lights on. Does this mean it's not charging anything?

Nov 5, 2018

I would say it is off as I haven’t got passed it attempting to turn on/attempting to fix a start up problem.

Nov 5, 2018

I believe I got it to power up before the battery completely died. I left it for a while and then earlier today it powered up briefly. Apart from that it doesn’t power up.

So it won't power up when the battery is dead. Sounds like it may be one of the laptops that requires a working battery to function. You could be looking at both the charger and the battery needing replacing. Just, a suggestion, don't go aftermarket. OEM may cost more, but they work much better and have way less problems.

Solution
Nov 5, 2018

Thank you helping me fix this problem. Sorry to ask probably an obvious question but what does OEM stand for?

Nov 5, 2018

I've just bought a replacement battery. I placed it into my laptop and it turned on. I tested my new charger and it charged it. Now the charger isn't charging. Does this mean the fault lies with the charging port on the laptop?

Nov 5, 2018

No it isn't. The reason that I now think it had to do with where the cable plugs in, is because when it is plugged in it seems lose ie wobbles easy which I don't recall happening before.