Solved! Lenovo Ideapad 320 rediculous memory usage even when idle

Jun 29, 2017
So I bought a Lenovo Ideapad 320 around 6 months ago, and in the past 2 months it just started struggling doing extremely basic tasks. Chrome would crash 3 or 4 times before i could even get to youtube, and watching a youtube video is just a pure pain.

Task Manager even struggles to run when something is open in the background. My memory usage is at 2.5 GB + at idle, and maxes out when doing basic stuff, playing basic games is not even a struggle, since it isnt even possible tbh.

I do not know what to do, how to fix is, and I am kinda in need to fix this as I am going to university next year ( around 6 weeks' time).

Any and all help appreciated.

Solution
I would suggest first doing good deep scans for viruses as well as malware. Both of these can cause the problems you are having.

After that check the amount of space the computer has available. The less you have, the slower it will run. So if you are getting low on space, this would be a problem.

From here try going into your browser and clear the "History", "Cache", etc. Just be sure you save anything you want/need prior to that. The more the browser is used without doing this, the more of your resources it takes up.

Next, look into what items are running as soon as Windows loads. This will also drastically slow things down. This can be done by going to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Just be...
I would suggest first doing good deep scans for viruses as well as malware. Both of these can cause the problems you are having.

After that check the amount of space the computer has available. The less you have, the slower it will run. So if you are getting low on space, this would be a problem.

From here try going into your browser and clear the "History", "Cache", etc. Just be sure you save anything you want/need prior to that. The more the browser is used without doing this, the more of your resources it takes up.

Next, look into what items are running as soon as Windows loads. This will also drastically slow things down. This can be done by going to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Just be VERY CAREFUL about what you change in here, as you can do more harm than good. Go to the "Startup" table in "msconfig" and see what is auto starting with Windows. Be sure you check into what any particular item listed is before stopping it from running.

Should none of this help, then you may want to consider resetting the laptop. Just be sure you back up all your personal stuff to a cloud account or other device before doing so.

Solution