Lenovo IdeaPad P500 Wont Charge Options

andrew313

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hey everyone,
I’ve had a Lenovo IdeaPad P500 laptop for about 5 years now, and it recently just stopped charging. It won’t even turn on or charge when I have it directly plugged in. My question is, do you think I need a new battery for it, a new power jack, or both? It didn’t suffer any physical damage, it just simply stopped charging.
Thanks,
Drew

Solution
Have you tried running it with the battery out but plugged in? Some devices will and some won't. Also you might try a different charger, if you can borrow one or have another.
If it will turn on and run when plugged in, just not on battery, then I would look into a new battery.

I would, however, recommend you avoid aftermarket batteries. While they may seem like a good deal (price wise) they are also very much a hit or miss option. It is very easy to get one that claims it will work, doesn't or will not last as long as it should, or have other issues. So keep that in mind when purchasing a new one.

andrew313

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
It won't even turn on when it's plugged in, which is why I wasn't sure if it was the battery or the power jack itself. The charger cord is new so it's not that either.