Solved! Lenovo Ideapad Y560p vs ASUS G60V (Gaming/AutoDesk)

carfreak3504

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Right now I have the ASUS with:
Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz
4GB RAM
GTX 260 1GB

I'm looking to buy the lenovo: http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/columbia/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=1A6A3D02F7AA4873976FC8168DDA8C77&current-category-id=11F9D0DAE522E3F69D3905B1E8A9C1A1&action=init

It has:
Sandy Bridge i7 Quad Core
8 GB RAM
ATI 6570M 1GB

My question is: Obviously I'd notice a huge speed difference, but what about games? (i.e. Star Craft 2, FPS's, etc)

Thanks

Solution
Hello carfreak3504;

The GTX 260M is still a strong GPU and it's not going to get pushed aside by the ATI Mobility 6570M.
Over at Notebookcheck they have a list for Comparison of Laptop Graphics Cards
In that list the GTX 260 sits in the Class 1 group and the 6570M is further down the list in Class 2.

There aren't a lot of graphics benchmarks of the games for the 6570M but this page @ Notebookchecks tries to how the relative performance of various cards in a range of games. Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards.
You can tick the boxes of the cards you want to compare and use the Restrict button above to limit the page view to just those cards.
ss016.jpg

What that chart doesn't...
Hello carfreak3504;

The GTX 260M is still a strong GPU and it's not going to get pushed aside by the ATI Mobility 6570M.
Over at Notebookcheck they have a list for Comparison of Laptop Graphics Cards
In that list the GTX 260 sits in the Class 1 group and the 6570M is further down the list in Class 2.

There aren't a lot of graphics benchmarks of the games for the 6570M but this page @ Notebookchecks tries to how the relative performance of various cards in a range of games. Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards.
You can tick the boxes of the cards you want to compare and use the Restrict button above to limit the page view to just those cards.
ss016.jpg

What that chart doesn't show in the extra influence of the stronger CPU. Starcraft2 as a Sim type game might benefit from the better CPU enough to give a better overall gaming performance in spite of having a less powerful GPU.

As for Autodesk - you'll want to look closely at how much better that would actually perform with the SB quad.
See if you can find an Autodesk specific forum and find out what they're saying they around the new SB CPUs.

Solution
1366x768 on that Lenovo is kinda puny for Autodesk apps

AutoCAD favors nVidia especially in 2D drafting. I have the laptops for my engineering consulting firm custom built by a US based Clevo distributor called Pro-Star.

Never heard of Clevo ? That's OK, you never heard of the company that actually built the Lenovo as Lenovo doesn't build laptops. The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
* Clevo sells to Alienware, WidowPC, Sager, FlaconNorthwest, WidowPC and other boutique brands

Read more about Clevo in the FAQ here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

The Clevo P151HM Sandy Bridge starts at $1173
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=P150HM

I'm planning on using the P170HM-PS1 for future builds, customized w/ Core i7-2820QM Processor, 128GB Crucial C300, 750/7200rpm GB 16MB Cache HD, Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-bit

Other choices here:

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=4

Look at the Clevo FAQ from previous link up top for other vendors.