Question Lenovo Legion 5 Keyboard Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bna858

Estimable
Nov 14, 2016
Super frustrating.

Some keys are working intermittently. As I'm typing this, all of the keys are working. In an hour...the 'r' the 't' and various other keys will stop working. Laptop never dropped, always treated well. Laptop never opened or worked on. I searched for updated drivers...no updates.

If I hold the key for a long period of time, it will occasionally start working again.

Can't open an online warranty support ticket with Lenovo anymore which is an issue since I'm living out of the country and phone support is unusable.

Anybody have any solutions I can try?

Thanks

mrmike16

Honorable
I would be frustrated with an issue like that as well. The only thing I can think of is disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard's cable to the motherboard- It could be a loose connection- But only if you're comfortable with opening the laptop and voiding the warranty (In case you ever return to the country it was bought in).

It could still be the driver, even if you had searched for updates. Check if this happens in Safe Mode.

Bna858

Estimable
Nov 14, 2016
I would be frustrated with an issue like that as well. The only thing I can think of is disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard's cable to the motherboard- It could be a loose connection- But only if you're comfortable with opening the laptop and voiding the warranty (In case you ever return to the country it was bought in).

It could still be the driver, even if you had searched for updates. Check if this happens in Safe Mode.

Thanks for the reply. I'm comfortable with it, but its just a ton of work to do. I'll do it as a last resort if I have to. I'm definitely inclined to think that its not a loose connection simply because if I'm using notepad, and hold down the key...often it will kick in and start typing the key. I'm not moving the laptop or anything during that time...it simply starts working. Even now as I'm typing this, everything is fine. Its an intermittent problem.

mrmike16

Honorable
Thanks for the reply. I'm comfortable with it, but its just a ton of work to do. I'll do it as a last resort if I have to. I'm definitely inclined to think that its not a loose connection simply because if I'm using notepad, and hold down the key...often it will kick in and start typing the key. I'm not moving the laptop or anything during that time...it simply starts working. Even now as I'm typing this, everything is fine. Its an intermittent problem.

I agree, it doesn't seem like a loose connection, but I don't have many ideas of what the cause could be. If it's not the drivers, then it has to be the hardware. Maybe the connection on the keys themselves aren't so good. If your keyboard has a backlight- does it affected as well?
Does it happen in Safe Mode?

Bna858

Estimable
Nov 14, 2016
I agree, it doesn't seem like a loose connection, but I don't have many ideas of what the cause could be. If it's not the drivers, then it has to be the hardware. Maybe the connection on the keys themselves aren't so good. If your keyboard has a backlight- does it affected as well?
Does it happen in Safe Mode?

The faulty keys all started happening at the same time, so not an individual key issue. If its a hardware issue, its somewhere between the keyboard and the computer...unless Im missing something, these seems like a core deep issue in the architecture of the computer. But maybe Im wrong. I dunno. At wits end. Thx for the help

mrmike16

Honorable
The faulty keys all started happening at the same time, so not an individual key issue. If its a hardware issue, its somewhere between the keyboard and the computer...unless Im missing something, these seems like a core deep issue in the architecture of the computer. But maybe Im wrong. I dunno. At wits end. Thx for the help
Exactly why I thought of the cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard. But maybe the keyboard is just faulty. Sorry that I couldn't help more. Let us know if you find a solution.

Dec 30, 2021
I opened the bottom cover, removed the metal heat sync for the m.2 NvME hard drive, Battery, then reseated the keyboard cable. I also placed some electrical tape on the back of the NvME to reduce heat to the Keyboard cable since the nvme is right on top of it. Now all of my keys work without a problem.

Reactions: mrmike16
Status
Not open for further replies.