Lenovo R400 Thinkpad upgrade?

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys I got a friend with a Lenovo R400 Thinkpad. He would like to upgrade its RAM and swap its HDD for an SSD. He would like to slap 8GB RAM (2x4GB) and any SSD you think would work best with the old parts of his Lenovo R400. I got a bit more info to help you guys out;
Type:7443-CTO
S/N L3-A3387 09/01
Product ID: 7443CTO (dumb it just doesn't have the dash)

Anyhow I hope these numbers help thanks guys. Oh before I forget he would like the SSD to be a 256GB (or 250 however its made by whatever brand) thanks againg peeps hope you can help.

Solution
The R400 should support 8GB RAM. You can confirm this by visiting Crucial.com on the laptop, and downloading their system scanner. This will show you the maximum RAM supported, and the type you'll need (if you don't know that already).

In regards to the SSD, you'll be able to use your choice. Whatever has the best value for the size your wanting. Nothing special required.

If the HDD is cloned to the SSD, or if your installing a fresh OS, remember to turn off the paging file to help extend the life of your SSD!

ratedk

Distinguished
The R400 should support 8GB RAM. You can confirm this by visiting Crucial.com on the laptop, and downloading their system scanner. This will show you the maximum RAM supported, and the type you'll need (if you don't know that already).

In regards to the SSD, you'll be able to use your choice. Whatever has the best value for the size your wanting. Nothing special required.

If the HDD is cloned to the SSD, or if your installing a fresh OS, remember to turn off the paging file to help extend the life of your SSD!

Solution

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Only thing I don't undertand is the "paging file" thing could you elaborate on that a little? Not to sound like a noob or anything but I am not the type to bite off more than I can chew or assume I know something that I'm not 100% of! I would really appreciate it thanks.