Lenovo Thinkpad: Windows Won't Load

lenovox220

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
This is the exact problem that I am having: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-no-longer-loads-goes-to-blank-screen-cannot/c90cde35-2b9c-478d-9a8f-db3ea6b73a5f

"When I try to start it, it goes through the first part of loading windows 7, then goes to a "windows error recovery screen" with 2 options: 1) repair files, 2) launch windows normally. If I choose the first option, it goes to a screen saying "windows is loading files" and then shows the windows logo as if it were about to load. Then it goes straight to a blank screen. If I choose the 2nd option, pretty much the same thing happens (except I think it skips the "windows is loading files" screen. It still just goes to blank screen, no cursor, no nothing. Ctrl Alt Dlt has no effect at all."

The laptop is a Lenovo X220. The problem occurred when I dropped my laptop. I know nothing about laptops so anything would help, and I would be happy to answer any questions that could lead to a solution.

The laptop is quite old and I don't have any files that I need in there. If the only solution is that I need to take it to repair at some cost then I would rather throw it away at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
There's two potential options IMO (and one more likely that the other).

1. Your HDD has been damaged following the drop (most likely, since this occurred post-drop). Depending on the X220 variant, it may well be a very viable laptop, even today - with a replacement HDD or, preferrably an SSD. That would be a cost <$100 (depending on specifics), something you can do yourself.

2. Your OS has become corrupt. You can create your own recovery media on a USB (or disk, if you prefer), using another computer. Then boot from it (opposed to the HDD) and use the "repair" functionality.

The link your posted is Windows 7.....are you also using 7?
There's two potential options IMO (and one more likely that the other).

1. Your HDD has been damaged following the drop (most likely, since this occurred post-drop). Depending on the X220 variant, it may well be a very viable laptop, even today - with a replacement HDD or, preferrably an SSD. That would be a cost <$100 (depending on specifics), something you can do yourself.

2. Your OS has become corrupt. You can create your own recovery media on a USB (or disk, if you prefer), using another computer. Then boot from it (opposed to the HDD) and use the "repair" functionality.

The link your posted is Windows 7.....are you also using 7?

Solution