Solved! Lenovo Thinkpad won't stay HDMI connected to my Samsung Smart TV

hnderson

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I've connected my Lenovo thinkpad X1 Carbon Windows 10 to my new Samsung Smart TV model UN43J5202AF via HDMI to the HDMI 1 port on the TV. To get the connection to work, every time the laptop goes to sleep, I have to 1st turn the TV back on, then wake the laptop. Most of the time that works. However, sometimes it doesn't and I have to restart my laptop. That works but is a pain. Sometimes, after waking the laptop, the screen appears on the TV for about a second, then goes black and notification says that there's no connection.
Is there a solution to this that doesn't involve returning the TV?

Solution
New TV won't help as the problem is with using Sleep mode on your laptop. Set your laptop so nothing happens when you close the lid (ie no sleep). I used to have a similar problem with WiFi when I put my laptop to sleep --- when I woke it up the WiFi connection would drop. So I changed what closing the lid does to "nothing" -- problem solved.

I know that will run battery down quicker but that didn't bother me because my laptop was always plugged in to mains socket on wall.
New TV won't help as the problem is with using Sleep mode on your laptop. Set your laptop so nothing happens when you close the lid (ie no sleep). I used to have a similar problem with WiFi when I put my laptop to sleep --- when I woke it up the WiFi connection would drop. So I changed what closing the lid does to "nothing" -- problem solved.

I know that will run battery down quicker but that didn't bother me because my laptop was always plugged in to mains socket on wall.

Solution