Lenovo Y50-70 - is it worth it?

Elli__TJ

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015
HI, I need a new laptop, one for photo-editing, so it has to be a powerful little thing.
I had my heart on Asus but missed all the good deals and where I am it seems to be the hardest brand to find.
So there comes Lenovo. The Y50 (i7, 256 GB SSD, IPS). I saw the laptop in one PC store and though powerful it has this horrid dark screen!!! It's good display, perfect even, and non-glossy, too, but DARK! I played with it a bit, don't know how it'd be after calibration, but it gets no brighter.
Does anyone have this model? Is it any good for photo editing?

Solution
It will be able to handle image editing well but you may want to look at something like an asus ux501 which is made more for multimedia rather than gaming. These have better colour reproduction and wider colour gamut. Which websites do you use to find laptops?

Sandstorm3000

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
I own it myself and use it for school and gaming. I don't edit photos myself, but im sure it'll be good enough. I use it for programming and VMWare and stuff like that. Mine isn't dark at all, its brighter than my old laptop thats all i can tell you about it.

Its a really great laptop for its price, only difference between the one your looking at and mine. Is that it has an SSD, mine only has an SSHD (1TB and 8GB flash storage).

Elli__TJ

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015
Here's a link, the specs are at the bottom.

http://www.kotsovolos.gr/site/computing/laptop-tablet-ipad/notebook-macbook-ultrabook/156877-lenovo-y50-70-i7-4720hq

The laptop I saw was in a pretty big store with more than 50 laptops displayed and oddly, this one was the very best display, (not counting Mac) apart from Surface Pro. But it's merely a tablet and not nearly as powerful as I need it to be.
It's just bleeding expensive but I'd rather go with that than pay 1000 more for flippin' Mac with i5 and no IPS screen.

Sandstorm3000

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
I definitely wouldn't go for a macbook, but if you want to i can suggest you something cheaper maybe?

I can tell you that this is a really great laptop. If you decide to go for it you won't regret it. But if you don't game and only use it for photo editing it is a bit overkill i think.

Elli__TJ

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015
Actually gaming laptops are widely popular amongst photographers. Most people may not realise it but photo editing software 'eats' the memory, and if you want to run photoshop with at least another programme you do need a powerful computer.
The display is the next thing, another reason why gaming laptops are a go.

(And I'm not even considering on buying Mac, they're disappointing and generally a trap of use-my-product-only. The sad truth is that they're durable and need waaaaaay less maintenance than a PC.)

*sighs*

Sandstorm3000

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
I didn't know, because i see a lot of them using macbooks.. overpriced pieces of crap in my opinion.

A really good reason to go for the Y50-70 though, is that it is really lightweight (For a gaming laptop) and thin and really powerfull. If im correct it only weighs 2.4 kilo. One of the main reasons i bought this laptop. Another good thing about the laptop which is less relevant for you probably, is that is has really good sound. Best sound i ever heard from a laptop by far.

But i think a less powerfull laptop. Something with an i5, or i7 'u' series CPU and maybe a GT940 or GTX950 and 8GB of RAM should be more than enough.

It will be able to handle image editing well but you may want to look at something like an asus ux501 which is made more for multimedia rather than gaming. These have better colour reproduction and wider colour gamut. Which websites do you use to find laptops?

Solution

Elli__TJ

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015

Hi!
I'm quite restricted, actually. I'm slightly worried about buying a computer from the Net, but I may go for an Asus from the French Amazon.

http://www.amazon.fr/Asus-Ultrabook-UX501JW-CN484T-Portable-GeForce/dp/B01634404S/ref=sr_1_10?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1450090041&sr=1-10&keywords=asus

I know that Asus have better colour reproduction, but if I were to go buy one from a store here in Greece, finding Asus has become impossible and I was just looking for a compromise. They are not bringing Asus, and it was full months ago, perhaps everybody knows they're good. :p It's full of Lenovo, though... -_-

Penguino1234

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Technically its 8GB SOLID STATE Memory - Differences are Solid State exists as memory that will not break when dropped and has quick data transfer rates - good for gaming or graphics editing - but very expensive type of storage