adityangbharati

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I have a 2 month old Lenovo Y50-70 (UHD Version) with the following specs:

Processor: I7-4720HQ

RAM: 16G (2*8GB DDR3 L1600)

HDD:HYBRID 1TB 5400RPM + SSHD(8G)

Graphics: N16P-GX (NVIDIA GTX 960M) GDDR5 4GB

I bought it primarily for heavy-duty gaming and 3d modelling/rendering. The specs were just brilliant for the price.

Ive been facing some temperature issues with the laptop. I am using HWMonitor to monitor my temperatures.

Far Cry 4 wasnt giving good FPS at its highest settings so i toned it down to MEDIUM. 15-20 minutes into the game, the CPU temperatures (all 4 cores) touched mid 80's with the GPU temperature just slightly behind at around the early 80's.

I was worried and checked online. The temperatures seemed to be safe so i didnt mind much.

Lately, while playing the same game, HWMonitor shows me temperatures in the early 90's. It scaring me now. Its as if the temperatures just keep going up. its a relatively new laptop and i wish to use it for at least the next 3 years. I really dont want to fry it.

So, I handed the laptop over to customer service, since it was under warranty. They kept it for a few days and told me they replaced the heatsink.

The laptop is being real wierd now. I tried playing Far Cry 4 again. The same settings as my previous attempts. Horrible FPS. Stays between 10-17. CPU Temperatures stayed below 70 though.

Toned down the resolution of the game to 1366x768. FPS went up to 20-25. CPU Temperatures still below 70. I was kinda happy. Even though i had to compromise on the game settings at least the temperatures were not worrysome.

But eventually, the FPS dropped at certain sections and that pissed me off. I figured its basically because the core clock speed is being limited to the base clock (2.5GHz). I forced turboboost and i received a meagre 5-7FPS advantage. Temperature max around 75.

Incidentally i checked the GPU temperature too. 95 degrees. Seems too high, dunnit?

So now basically, my performance has apparently dropped a lot along with the CPU temperatures. But GPU temperatures are still high. I dont know what to do. Seriously upset with this laptop now.

Im attaching a screenshot of FC4 running in windowed mode (1366x768, high settings) with FRAPS, GPU-Z and HWMonitor running. Maybe it will give out some important information to anyone out there who might be able to provide some relief to this poor helpless soul.

http://postimg.org/image/40dc4dnvb/

Any idea about why the system is heating so much? And what should i do about it?

Im using a cooling pad (Wind Pal FS) and the ambient temperatures are around 27-28 degree Celcius.

The laptop is not running at its native resolution. I run most softwares and games at 1920*1080

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You. And sorry for such a lengthy description.

Hello adityangbharati

Did you upgrade your operating system to Windows 10?

Many times such heating issues arise due to the wrong graphics driver. Even though such driver may look compatible to your hardware, it is the main cause behind overheating.

If you didn't upgrade your OS, you can try disabling the NVIDIA graphics card and use the Intel one for a while and see if the issue is resolved.

Let me know about the output and feel free to ask for more assistance if needed. :)

Cheers!!

adityangbharati

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Hello

Yes, the laptop has been through a clean install of windows 10. And Lenovo hosted the windows 10 display drivers on their website, i downloaded it from there, then made further updates from the GeForce Experience client itself.

My guess is that the poor performance is because my GPU is throttling because of the high temperatures......im unsure if this is a software issue as you state. Or if the service centre people didnt install the new heatsink properly. The laptop features two pipes in the heat sink, one for the CPU and one for the GPU, both have their own fans though the outlet is common. I will have to open the casing to see what they have done inside. Might do that.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

The Lenovo Y50 is designed and marketed as a gaming laptop, but has limited battery life and computing horsepower that usually leaves hardcore gamers wanting/ needing more.
Although it has that fantastic lenovo design and it's a good value for the money, it's limited configurations and inconsistent performance along with constant overheating, makes it a bust in the gaming world.
Overheating has always been an issue with this model, unfortunately, no one is told this when they buy it.

beloveun

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015

Hello!
I have similar model of lenovo y50-70 and same problems. I have just 8 RAM and no SSD, and i suppose it is overheating because of so thin model of laptop. I am playing games like Witcher 3, AC Syndicate... First i was playing witcher on high settings because my laptop could have run it with no problems but around 20 min of serious playing it was really hot. I wasnt able to keep pressing down W for run or something like that because my fingers got burned. Then i lifted my computer from the desk with the help of books and other small objects so, air would circulate faster, and lower all settings to minimum. Now i am able to play witcher 3 around 4 hours before i must stop for an hour so my fingers and computer can cool down.
I was thinking about buying a cooler pad, but some friends told me that it pushes air into the laptop directly to GPU and underheat it. I do not know if that is true or not....
I hope you have any idea how to fix this or just solution for cooler pad.
I am sorry for bad english...

adityangbharati

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

The laptop is BAD. first of all, the color gamut coverage of the screen is horrible. Cant even reproduce primary colors like yellow. Then the screen is locked at a a low refresh rate. Pity.
As for heating, my laptop started throttling (as i mentioned in an earlier post)....even at medium and low settings which was really surprising. So now i cant even compromise on the heating for performance. I even noticed Lenovo uses some technology that drops the Processor frequency as soon as i start some game......so when the laptop is idle i must be getting 3.0GHz or above, but a few seconds after the game starts, it drops to the base frequency. Even while operating at this base frequency the temperatures are so high. I wonder if it will become a furnace if i operate it at its full potential.
I was really disappointed, and after a lot of lengthy emails and complaints, Lenovo thankfully agreed to refund me on the laptop. This is such a wonderful laptop, but some design flaws, the heating and the screen just breaks ones heart.

The heating can be managed a bit with a cooling pad. The vents at the base of the laptop are quite big so all the extra air might help. But i do not expect a huge temperature change. maybe 2-3 degrees? A more complex attempt might be undervolting the laptop. It takes some time and expertise but is quite effective. You may look at a lot of tutorials online on how to undervolt your laptop for lower temperatures. I attempted undervolting myself on the laptop, but didnt bother further once i noticed the laptop is throttling.

Kirk_2

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015
Install ThinkPad Fan Control, it's a third party but well regarded fan manager devoted to ThinKpad's / Lenovo's.

Avoid sites other than the author's, they may be poseurs or obsolete rev's:
http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/tpfc.html

TPFanControl is useless for non ThinkPad / Lenovo systems, using it on any other system will just create errors and either fail to accurately control your fan or just floor your fan into high speed malfunction.

It's simplistic to install and easier to display real time temp at various controllers including your GPU.

It has three modes, BIOS, Smart and MANUAL (radio button)
Set yours to MANUAL, enter 96 in the field labled "0-7".

This runs your fan at approximately 95% of design speed and commonly practiced among the ThinkPad community when running CPU intensive tasks whether rendering or HashCat'ng.

Cooler pads.... can be worse if they block underside vents and are often purchased by owners who may be well served instead with a $6 can of compressed air to blow the dust out of their sled.
Since yours is only a few months old, you aren't as likely afflicted by months of dust buildup, but if your environment is "heavy" with animals, pollen or other airborne substances, then blasting your fan will be more helpful than cooling pads.

It is assumed you've already set your system mode to Max Performance, Lenovo's are stridently configured to conserve energy in the namesake of saving the environment and $3.99 a year in energy costs and it's maddening to learn latency is the result of an insidious power saving mode.
TPFan control will turn your fan up regardless of your systems Power State.

You should also execute Procmon from Microsoft, you download it to read real time https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx OS data and it will reveal insidious processes competing with your gaming experience.

So far, you've only complained about your systems unsatisfactory performance but failed to include any optimizations such as disabling services, terminating background processes.
Procmon will give you the perspective of hungry applications and services soaking up your systems resources that are failing to measure up to your buyer expectations. Lenovo's arrive with bloatware in the background, Microsoft Autoruns https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx enables fast, safe, checkbox disabling of resource hungry startuplications including Lenovo System Monitor, Lenovo Experience, Java Update Scheduler, Acrobat prestart and the rest of startup crap that's mwaking Fwar Cwy wun swow.
turning off Microsoft Defender Real Time Monitoring will boost your gaming performance immeasurably.

Kirk_2

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015

Lenovo allows owners to split their cases open w/o voiding the warranty, it's an option offered by support tech's to ship replacement parts such as keyboards, internal NiC's along with emailed links to video instructions for impatient owners unwilling to wait the extra days for the arrival of onsite service tech.

Lenovo doesn't allow opening LCD's or detaching the front bezel.
Your allowed maintenance is confirmed with screws coated in blue locTite are owner removable, while red coated threads are prohibited and used as evidence by service techs to determine unauthorized repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.