Lenovo Y50 Streams videos very choppy

TTD187

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
I've got the 4k variant of the Lenovo Y50 with 4GB Maxwell GTX 860M. I've been trying to find various ways of improving my browsing experience but seem to be struggling too much.

When trying to watch videos through a browser, I find that they tend to be overly choppy (especially in chrome). The frame rate is evidently lower than it should be.

With my old laptop (1366x768@60Hz) and my desktop (1920x1080@60Hz), I noticed that both are capable of running videos smoothly, but even watching videos shot at 60 FPS seem to show up to be laggy on this laptop (3840x2160@48Hz). I understand that 60 FPS videos won't look as smooth on the 48Hz monitor, however, 30 FPS videos always do when streamed through a browser.
I've attempted to use Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera, all of which have failed me at some point or another.

I've managed to fix the YouTube issue with an app I downloaded from the Windows Store called Hyper for YouTube which appears to run the videos without any dropped frames suggesting it's just the browsers that are the issue.

This does occur with other video players around the web also and does not appear to be a buffering issue (considering that Hyper works and also the video does show to have buffered quite far into the future).
It's most noticeable with 4k video, however, even lower res (720p) seems to have this issue.

I'm really concerned as to what's wrong with my laptop and so was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on how to fix streaming through the video players on browsers.

A few things I've tried:

Changing the video card to be used between integrated graphics and dedicated, disabling hardware acceleration, installing Flash, uninstalling Flash, installing Flash again, etc. Nothing seems to be much use though.

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
What is more likely Is two issues, 1. That enourmise data rates required to display 4k, and second the added workload of having to upscale to 3840*2160, a trick is try running stuff at 1080p as that scales nativly to 3840*2160 since it is twice the width and height of 1080p

TTD187

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014

I don't think that explains how everything runs smoother in the Hyper app though. The videos will still be the same resolution but run really smoothly.
1080p also suffers from dropped frames.
Then of course surely if a video is struggling because of upscaling, would that not mean my old laptop (768p) would struggle too? Especially with weaker hardware

TTD187

Estimable
Aug 22, 2014
I don't think its the screen or the GPU because it's a high end graphics card. It should easily handle streaming in 4k, yet mine seems to have issues with even lower resolutions (1080p seems to have audio/video sync issues and it's always choppy)

I did read about possible hard drive issues.