Lenovo y50 stuttering

yahjoogooleh

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
Hello,I bought a lenovo y50 laptop and I get random stuttering/freezes whenever I play a game it will happen for a second or two. The gpu is a 860m I have tried updating drivers and reinstalling them, changing settings in the invidia control panel but nothing works. I used cpu z and gpu z when the stuttering occurs the gpu load drops to 0%. The highest the temp has got on the gpu is 70C.The only games I have on this laptop are dota 2 and diablo 3 and it does it for both. I'm trying to do anything to solve the problem before having to ship it back to lenovo to get it fixed or a refund. Any help on this is greatly appreciated thank you again for helping and your time. Here are the specs if someone doesn't know forgot to add it in the original post.
Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
- Operating system
Windows 8.1 64
- Display
15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
- Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB
- Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
- Hard Drive
Hybrid 500GB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD

yahjoogooleh

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
Thank you for the fast response I've actually done that and it's still happening I've done the power settings putting it on max performance as well still no good. It's quite depressing since I've only had this laptop for a week now.

yahjoogooleh

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
that's what I was starting to think too it sucks because I like everything about it. Thanks for your help and quick responses guess it's time to call lenovo in the morning unless someone knows something we don't haha fingers crossed!

yahjoogooleh

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
does anyone know a legit windows 8.1 that I could download? lenovo doesn't give you a cd and my cd key that I have for this laptop doesn't work when I put it in the windows 8.1 installer it says that it can't be used to install a retail version of 8.1. I've been doing research and apparently my cd key is embedded into the uefi/bios and it will auto detect it when I try to do a clean install. I can't find one online to save my life. thanks in advance!!

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014

Do you have any links that outline the issues with these systems, specifically the Y50 Touch??

I have the same video playback issue but only with the main display, an HDMI display doesn't have the video stuttering problem but I am also getting lost keyboard hits, about 1 stroke every 20 seconds is not being entered so I want to find out if this is lemon.

Thnaks!

mark12

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

I recently purchased a Y50 and had the same issue (screen freezes for 3 seconds, gpu drops to 0%). After doing some research, a program called QuietHDD seems to fix the issue. There are a lot of people reporting similar issues:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Re-Windows-regularly-freezes-when-HDD-is-spinning-up/td-p/1809301/page/13

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/759582/geforce-mobile-gpus/stuttering-hitching-pauses-860m/

Big ups to Aeonia on the geforce forums for recommending the fix. Sorry for necroing an old thread, but it is still an issue for some people. I hope this helps other people googling the same problem.

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014

SOO FAR SO GOOD... but sad a piece of software from 2009 is needed to fix a top-end system assembled a few months ago. I have had 2 Lenovos that had serious issues, I won't be buying another. Too bad too, the casing is awesome but the screen on this Y50 HD Touch is terrible and for $1800 I expected a lot more, certainly not this level of fix.

If this doesn't fix the issue I will send it back and wait 2-3 weeks for them to "maybe" find the issue, but since it does not occur 100% of the time I have a feeling some lazy tech will check it for 30sec. and say it's fine.

mark12

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I hear you man. This is my first Lenovo and this has been the only issue I've had so far. I paid a lot less than you for my non-touch though. If I had not found the QuietHDD thing, I would be very upset at this point. Some random freeware needed to make a gaming machine able to play games without freezing is pretty insane. They really should send out some official Lenovo update to fix that so people don't have to guess-and-check with freeware.