Solved! Should my laptop be so slow?

Nov 15, 2019
I have a laptop, bought a while ago but hardly use because of how slow it is, but i don't think it should be as slow as it is! It takes what seems like ages to start up, and when i try and load up a program such as Adobe Premiere Pro CC it takes ages to load, sometimes even freezing and not responding, the specs are below .....

Lenovo Y50-70
Windows 8.1 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
16.0 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 860M

Am i wrong in thinking that it should be able to cope with things like editing? is there potentially something wrong?

Solution
You don't mention how much space is available on the drive. That is a large factor. Also, what things are set to start up automatically? Just because may not be listed in the normal startup section doesn't mean they aren't automatically starting when Windows does. Programs you install will often add things there, especially antivirus programs. Which then can seriously slow down your processes.

Also, any viruses, malware, and bad programs will do the same.

Try going to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Click on the "Startup" tab and take a look at what items are listed there. You can uncheck any programs you are "sure" are ones you don't want automatically starting. Just be extremely careful not to...
You don't mention how much space is available on the drive. That is a large factor. Also, what things are set to start up automatically? Just because may not be listed in the normal startup section doesn't mean they aren't automatically starting when Windows does. Programs you install will often add things there, especially antivirus programs. Which then can seriously slow down your processes.

Also, any viruses, malware, and bad programs will do the same.

Try going to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). Click on the "Startup" tab and take a look at what items are listed there. You can uncheck any programs you are "sure" are ones you don't want automatically starting. Just be extremely careful not to uncheck anything you need or don't know what it is for. You don't want to cause more problems than you already have.

Additionally, do not mess with the other tabs unless you are certain about what you are changing.

Once done and saved, the computer should need to be rebooted and then see how the system runs.

Solution
Nov 15, 2019
There is nothing in the start up that isn't related to general operating, other than Adobe Creative Suite, but it's not really a start up thing as the laptop can have been on for 10 minutes and you try to open a web page and it will take 15-20 seconds to open (i mean just open chrome full stop, not load a page) or trying to open Premiere Pro takes ages

I downloaded hdsentinal and that is just saying 100% on everything, so no issues there, plus it has an up to date McAfee virus software on it

C: 888GB with 628GB free
D: 24.9GB with 22.2GB free

Stumped really as to why it would be like this, might just get a mac lol

The Adobe Creative Suite, if it is starting up when Windows starts could be taking some of the resources. However that would be more evident at the system start and they would be running the whole time.

When the slowness happens, try going to "Start" and typing in "task manager" (without quotes) and click on that in the list given. It should say something like "View running processes...". In there check both the "Processes" and "Services" tabs to see what is running and using up resources.

Also, have you run good deep scans of the computer for not only viruses but also malware?

Additionally, if you are like most and allow Chrome to save everything, then this will drastically slow your loading of that program and anything you do on the internet. It would be wise to clean it out, clear cookies, history, cache, etc. But be sure you save anything you normally use/access and know all your log ins before doing so. As once that is all removed you can't get it back.