Nachocheesemann

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014
Hello,

I have had my Y50 for about a year now and it has been great to me. I have purchased the Ultra HD (4k) version with the best specs I could get (full system specs at the end) at the time. I could not play many games in 4k, so I set my computer resolution to 1920x1080 and have kept it there since. When I received my computer, I was able to play games like Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed 3, Battlefield Hardline, and some other games at high settings. Games like Civ 5 and Battlefront 2 were no issue for my computer, and I was able to run those very well without having to plug my laptop in, or set my power plan to high performance.

Something has happened though that has hindered my gaming performance. Now when I open up battlefront 2, I can no longer play on high settings, and I have to turn down the settings to medium or low, with my computer plugged in and my power plan on high performance. When I launch Civ 5, the starting video lags and when I drag my cursor around in the menu and over icons, the icons take about half a second longer to light up. Performance in all of my games has dropped, and I have no idea what went wrong. My laptop resolution and in game resolution are both set to 1920x1080, just like before, and I have not modified any setting when my laptop begin to give me troubles, so I have no idea what went wrong. My graphics card drives are also up to date. The only thing that I can think of is that there is something on my computer (malware?) that is slowing me down, so I am going to search for it, but is there anything that you guys know that would help me? Thanks!

System Specs:
Intel Quad Core i7-4710HQ @ 2.50GHz
16 GB RAM
64-bit Windows 8.1 OS
Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M 4 GB
3840x2160 (1920x1080 current)
500 GB SSD

Let me know if there is any other information that you guys need

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Have you cleaned the laptop recently? The heatsink might be full of junk and need a good blowing out.

If you suspect malware, Malwarebytes is a common and effective free anti-malware program.

Nachocheesemann

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

I have not cleaned the laptop yet, and I probably will not myself since opening it up on my own may void the warranty I have. If there are no other issues, I will send it back to Lenovo and see if I can get them to clean it out.

Malwarebytes did locate a few remaining pieces and files of some malware that has been removed before, so that may of fixed my machine. I'm going to try out some games to see if anything has changed, but do you or anyone else have anymore ideas?

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
No need to open the case, you can put a hand near the vent and check if you feel air moving. If you can't, and the fan's going all-out, the heatsink's blocked. Using canned air on the heat sink can backblast some gunk out of it, and you'll be able to tell if it worked because it will start cooling off and you'll feel air moving after you do so.